Heavy Duty Clutch Cable?

More
03 Oct 2016 13:52 #744357 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Heavy Duty Clutch Cable?
I've ran Barnett springs since 83 and the stock cable is still going strong.... just put fresh ones in again a few years back...... if it ever goes I would never think about getting anything but another nos one.....oil it every 2 years and have kept the actuator well greased.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Oct 2016 15:56 #744369 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Heavy Duty Clutch Cable?
Being the shaft drive variant of the 750 you have a unique version of the clutch actuation mechanism. I'm not positive how to service it but I think you need to unbolt that device that pushes on the pushrod and see how smoothly it operates.

More
04 Oct 2016 19:47 #744497 by Mac55
Replied by Mac55 on topic Heavy Duty Clutch Cable?
Alright so I have some new information. Attached is the mechanism and also a picture of damage to the lower sleeve on the cable. It was difficult to pull the inner cable out through the lower section despite there being no kinks anywhere. Something happened to either crush or warp the sleeve that creates extra tension and is likely what caused the break. That being said I still feel the clutch is too tough as I hadn't noticed any change whenever the sleeve got damaged, just it breaking.
Attachments:

More
04 Oct 2016 19:51 #744498 by Mac55
Replied by Mac55 on topic Heavy Duty Clutch Cable?
And there's where it is on the bike
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2016 20:17 - 12 Oct 2016 20:18 #745090 by Tri750
Replied by Tri750 on topic Heavy Duty Clutch Cable?
When a clutch cable fails at the lever as you describe, many times it's the lever itself that is worn.
The hole where the cable barrel sits in wears the aluminum lever to be elongated or egg shaped and when you use the clutch, the cable end barrel doesn't pivot in the hole. The cable just flexes back and forth until it breaks.

A new lever is called for or at least re-sizing/shaping the lever hole.
Also check the lever pivot point to make sure it's not wallowed out.

Many people use a Barnett clutch pack and stock springs to have a decent clutch pull and the benefits of the heavier clutch pack.

I've used Motion Pro cables for years with no issues.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2016 20:18 by Tri750.