Brake rebuild kits

More
27 Sep 2016 19:56 #743764 by 750 R1
Brake rebuild kits was created by 750 R1
Whats the mail on brake rebuild kits ?, I did a search and all I worked out was not to use K&L kits, I would also like to replace the caliper pistons, anyone do kits with stainless pistons..? This is for an 1982 GPZ750R1, both front and back and both master cylinders ...Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
28 Sep 2016 04:43 #743784 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Brake rebuild kits
I've used K&L kits with no problems.
I have not had to replace a piston, they can usually be polished up nicely unless too badly pitted.
How bad are they?

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Sep 2016 05:33 - 28 Sep 2016 05:37 #743792 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Brake rebuild kits
K&L brake system parts are RISKY because they sometimes do not fit properly. They are not cheaper than OEM parts so I don't know why people even bother with aftermarket.

If the pistons you have are pitted they must be replaced. When redoing my KZ750 all three pistons in the system, front and back, were junk. You can purchase replacement parts from a dealership or an online source like Partzilla. www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...ONT+BRAKE/parts.html

Oh, and don't forget to replace the brake lines at the same time. They accumulate scale and crud on the inside and should be replaced just like most other 35 year old rubber parts on the bike.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 05:37 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750 R1

More
28 Sep 2016 07:49 - 28 Sep 2016 20:39 #743810 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Brake rebuild kits

Nessism wrote: K&L brake system parts are RISKY because they sometimes do not fit properly. They are not cheaper than OEM parts so I don't know why people even bother with aftermarket.

If the pistons you have are pitted they must be replaced. When redoing my KZ750 all three pistons in the system, front and back, were junk. You can purchase replacement parts from a dealership or an online source like Partzilla. www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...ONT+BRAKE/parts.html

Oh, and don't forget to replace the brake lines at the same time. They accumulate scale and crud on the inside and should be replaced just like most other 35 year old rubber parts on the bike.

Yes, I've read a couple of reports of ill fitting parts from K&L, i'll be ordering from overseas so I don't need the hassle. I've already bought some parts from Partzilla, I was hoping all the parts for the brakes would come in a kit, rather than having to go through the parts fiche and buy them one by one... I'm not certain which parts i'll actually need to rebuild all 3 calipers and both master cylinders, It may even be better to buy an aftermarket front master set up..? I was going to grab pistons too, I haven't pulled mine yet and a friend will be rebuilding them for me... The front brake looks like the fluid has either gone off or there's water in it, the rear brake doesn't work at all... I need carb kits for the BS34 carbs as well but haven't had any luck finding any, I'm good with Honda parts but this is my first early 80's Kawasaki, thats why I joined this site.... ;)
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 20:39 by 750 R1.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Sep 2016 12:46 #743834 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Brake rebuild kits

750 R1 wrote:

Nessism wrote: K&L brake system parts are RISKY because they sometimes do not fit properly. They are not cheaper than OEM parts so I don't know why people even bother with aftermarket.

Yes, I've read a couple of reports of ill fitting parts from K&L, i'll be ordering from overseas so I don't need the hassle. I've already bought some parts from Partzilla, I was hoping all the parts for the brakes would come in a kit, rather than having to go through the parts fiche and buy them one by one... I'm not certain which parts i'll actually need to rebuild all 3 calipers and both master cylinders, It may even be better to buy an aftermarket front master set up..? I was going to grab pistons too, I haven't pulled mine yet and a friend will be rebuilding them for me... The front brake looks like the fluid has either gone off or there's water in it, the rear brake doesn't work at all... I need carb kits for the BS24 carbs as well but haven't had any luck finding any, I'm good with Honda parts but this is my first early 80's Kawasaki, thats why I joined this site.... ;)

You gotta order individual parts. That's the best way since "kits" often contain a bunch of stuff you don't need. And speaking of that, aftermarket "carb kits" full of inferior parts, many you don't need such as jets. All you need are the various O-rings and soft parts. Keep your original brass high quality Mikuni jets and such.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750 R1, referman

More
28 Sep 2016 15:17 #743842 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Brake rebuild kits

Nessism wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

Yes, I've read a couple of reports of ill fitting parts from K&L, i'll be ordering from overseas so I don't need the hassle. I've already bought some parts from Partzilla, I was hoping all the parts for the brakes would come in a kit, rather than having to go through the parts fiche and buy them one by one... I'm not certain which parts i'll actually need to rebuild all 3 calipers and both master cylinders, It may even be better to buy an aftermarket front master set up..? I was going to grab pistons too, I haven't pulled mine yet and a friend will be rebuilding them for me... The front brake looks like the fluid has either gone off or there's water in it, the rear brake doesn't work at all... I need carb kits for the BS24 carbs as well but haven't had any luck finding any, I'm good with Honda parts but this is my first early 80's Kawasaki, thats why I joined this site.... ;)

You gotta order individual parts. That's the best way since "kits" often contain a bunch of stuff you don't need. And speaking of that, aftermarket "carb kits" full of inferior parts, many you don't need such as jets. All you need are the various O-rings and soft parts. Keep your original brass high quality Mikuni jets and such.

Ok, will do, thanks for the advice....