Rear Chassis and Suspension Change Questions

More
11 Jul 2016 19:34 #734629 by evandowney
Hey there,

Just got my first bike. 1982 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive

Im making into a project as I injured myself mid summer and didn't have time to put it on the road to make this season worthwhile financially, (Canada)

Ive decided to change the rear end of the bike getting rid of her "broken back", Id like to run a straight line with a kick up. but have encountered the issue with using the stock shocks. (Budget Build) my question is if i could make new shock tabs on the swing arm. Moving the shock closer to the front wheel. Maybe 3or4 inches. Doing this should keep the same shock angle, while also giving the rear end a bit of a lift. Which I am also after as the bike sits a little low for me. (6'3")

I dont know much regarding bike suspension, so give me all you got. Attatched is what im looking at doing. and you can see where the swing arm would lift the rear of the bike a few inches. Could be too much rake.

Also would like to run 18"s front and rear. But that could be a topic on its own. If there is a simple answer (which I have not found) that would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time,
some noob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2016 21:09 #734637 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rear Chassis and Suspension Change Questions
Jacking up the rear suspension is a risky move. You could run into problems with the drive belt rubbing on the swingarm, and the changed geometry at the front could create terminal tank slappers. Be very careful.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: evandowney

More
12 Jul 2016 03:22 #734653 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Rear Chassis and Suspension Change Questions
Your tank would not fit that frame modification.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: evandowney

More
13 Jul 2016 13:05 #734800 by evandowney
Replied by evandowney on topic Rear Chassis and Suspension Change Questions
TexasKZ: Ahh, really. Not sure what to do then. Should I just try and keep the stock height with the frame modifications?

Nebr_Rex: Yeah I planned on changing the tank out. Not a fan of the one that comes on the 82

Would love some suggestions on how to go about this!

Thanks Guys

More
13 Jul 2016 15:04 #734810 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rear Chassis and Suspension Change Questions
Since the LTDs typically have a slightly more relaxed front end numbers than other models. you may be able t raise the rear an inch or so without great misery, but don't get carried away. You will need to be certain that the belt does not rub throughout the rear suspension travel. If you are planning to change the front suspension, then you will have a whole new layer of complications. It might be a good idea to troll some cafe bike forums to see what has worked for others and their 440LTDs.
Moving the shock forward will also change the leverage on the shock, which may make the shocks and springs way too soft.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough