Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cheap chain? or another problem 08 Jul 2006 19:47 #60320

• timber
  • timber's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok i ride my 650 back and forth to work alot. the dealer i got it from put on a new chain & sprockets. i have adjusted the chain three times and i see it needs it again. is it a cheap chain or could i have another problem in the works?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cheap chain? or another problem 08 Jul 2006 21:17 #60337

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm pretty sure it will stretch some but that might be a lot. I know this might sound dumb but you are sure it's staying adjusted? Nothing else seems loose? I thought mine seemed loose so i got out the manual and followed the how to as best as I was able..max deflection or whatever its called . Measured it, etc.tightened it up some but not as much as I thought it would be. Honestly I am not experienced enough to tell you beyond that.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

cheap chain? or another problem 08 Jul 2006 21:31 #60344

• Leather
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, first off. are you oiling it reg? bout every two hundred or so miles, is about right for a non O ring type chain, used on dry roads. Are you sure your not over tightening it in some way? That to will lead to premature wear on a chain.. I'd recommend you get a manual and get to know your spects and amounts for the bike.:unsure:

cheap chain? or another problem 09 Jul 2006 08:17 #60447

• timber
  • User
nope i dont over tighten, i do check over it on a regular basis so i dont believe it is loosening up? and yes i oil the chain twice a week, i drive 80 mi a day back and forth to work so math says i 400 mi a week. i usually check all fluid levels on monday along with grease and lube and then on wednesday or thursday.

i'm sorry, i just looke back in my maintance log. i changed the rear tire and had the chain marked down as a tighten. i have only tighten in twice in 3 months

cheap chain? or another problem 09 Jul 2006 11:18 #60483

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
ALWAYS use high quality chain. Yes the dealer put on the cheap stuff. A quailty chain will last at least 20,000 miles even it's negleted or adjusted improperly.

cheap chain? or another problem 10 Jul 2006 03:14 #60663

• Wicked_KZ
  • User
A good chain will only need adjusted once or twice after the initial install. The dealer most likely put on the cheapest chain available, they get the stuff in 100 foot rolls and cut it to size.
You're much better off with a high quality O ring chain from EK or DID. They are usually pre stretched and will only need one adjustment after about 50 or 60 miles. I bought one from EK and it got loose after about 100 miles so I re adjusted it and it's been ok ever since.

cheap chain? or another problem 10 Jul 2006 07:19 #60709

• timber
  • User
i am getting everything together for a swing arm conversion. the new swing arm is longer so that would be a good time to get a new high quality chain. i was just a little worried that there was something else wrong that i was over looking.

• Page: