Fork Oil Recommendation ?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2016 20:30 #732359 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Fork Oil Recommendation ?
It could. Air cooled motors make some noise anyway.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
21 Jun 2016 20:34 #732362 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Fork Oil Recommendation ?
I'll report back in a couple of days. Thanks Again !!!

77' KZ1000A

More
22 Jun 2016 05:57 #732391 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fork Oil Recommendation ?

kzdcw wrote: I have 3 different 10 wt. fork oils left over from prior motorcycle builds. Torco, Maxima, & Belray . If I combine all 3 of them, I would have enough to do both fork tubes. Not the recommended weight your guys are advising, but shouldn't pose an issue if I use these ?

What about ATF ?

I don't get it. Why are you bound and determined to put automatic transmission fluid in motorcycle forks instead of motorcycle fork oil? Fork oil doesn't cost a fortune, and since you only change it every 2 years (if the bike is properly maintained), it is not a major investment. So why not just do the right thing and buy a bottle of new fork oil? :blink: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
22 Jun 2016 08:32 - 22 Jun 2016 08:34 #732411 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Fork Oil Recommendation ?
I hear you Ed, but not bound and determined to use ATF. Just was inquiring about it. Going to use what Fork Oil that I have on hand. See how that works and determine if using a heavier wt. fork oil would be better.

77' KZ1000A
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 08:34 by kzdcw.

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
22 Jun 2016 09:51 - 22 Jun 2016 10:00 #732420 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Fork Oil Recommendation ?

650ed wrote:

kzdcw wrote: I have 3 different 10 wt. fork oils left over from prior motorcycle builds. Torco, Maxima, & Belray . If I combine all 3 of them, I would have enough to do both fork tubes. Not the recommended weight your guys are advising, but shouldn't pose an issue if I use these ?

What about ATF ?

I don't get it. Why are you bound and determined to put automatic transmission fluid in motorcycle forks instead of motorcycle fork oil? Fork oil doesn't cost a fortune, and since you only change it every 2 years (if the bike is properly maintained), it is not a major investment. So why not just do the right thing and buy a bottle of new fork oil? :blink: Ed

ATF has a viscosity of a light oil and it contains powerful detergents. In addition as a lubricating oil, it also functions as a hydraulic oil inside a transmission.

Some bikes recommend ATF for fork oil (my Honda did) but I don't know of a KZ that does. If the forks are neglected running ATF for a couple hundred miles is not a bad idea to clean them out.

Some KZ's recommend motor oil for the forks as well. Obviously this does not apply to the OP but just FYI.

if using a heavier wt. fork oil would be better.

The biggest effect of heavier oil will be to slow down the fork rebound. Something to consider.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 10:00 by The_Proletariat.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jun 2016 10:38 - 22 Jun 2016 10:39 #732423 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Fork Oil Recommendation ?
I used castrol GTX 20-50 in my forks for years. Fork oil at the dealers was crazy expensive then. Worked fine. When I bought new fork tubes, progressive springs, seals and boots, I put in 15w fork oil. The bike shop insisted I needed two. I bought one and still have some left over. The only bad thing about this is, I bought NOS boots from Z1E. Charged me $45 a piece and they cracked within the first year. I will buy new ones from z1partsinc for $22 a pair.
Live and learn. :whistle:
Steve
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 10:39 by SWest. Reason: sp