Handlebar Suggestions ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
12 Jun 2016 16:02 #731098 by kzdcw
Handlebar Suggestions ? was created by kzdcw
My 77' KZ1000A I've been working on for a while and now running, has some lower profile handlebars but not sure what these bars are from? I like the riding position that these bars have but they are bent down slightly on the right end where the bike at one time fell or either crashed on that side. Maybe I could remove these bars and possibly tweak them straight but with the cost of replacement bars, I think it would better to purchase new.

My bars look like maybe a Superbike or European style bar. In fact I'm not sure what even stock KZ bars would have looked like on this bike?

So my question is, what kind on "Sport" bars are you guys running on your KZ's? Is their a good source where you have purchased yours?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
12 Jun 2016 17:21 - 12 Jun 2016 17:21 #731102 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?
A refinement to Steve's post... motorcycle.chaparral-racing.com/search?a...ikemaster+handlebars

Bikemaster bars are decent. The Superbike or Daytona (slightly higher) bend are very popular.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2016 17:21 by Nessism.

More
12 Jun 2016 17:24 #731103 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?
Suggestion-

If you suspect the handlebars are tweaked you can remove them and set them upside down on a flat surface to check them. If they are bent a little here’s one way to straighten them. Put a piece of plywood on the pavement; put the end of the handlebar on the plywood and put another piece of plywood on top of the end of the handlebars making a sort of sandwich. Pull a truck or car onto the top piece of plywood. The weight of the vehicle will hold the handlebars in place while you pull on their other end to straighten them. I have done this before and was able to make a set of bars perfectly straight. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jun 2016 17:29 #731104 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?
If they are slightly bent you can put the bike in full lock(turn) and bend it back. If too much, the chrome will crack and chip leaving them ugly and useless.
Steve

More
12 Jun 2016 17:47 #731109 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?

swest wrote: If they are slightly bent you can put the bike in full lock(turn) and bend it back. If too much, the chrome will crack and chip leaving them ugly and useless.
Steve

I don't like this idea Steve. Too much stress going into the soft aluminum handlebar clamps on the triple clamp. Better safe than sorry.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jun 2016 18:21 #731120 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?
Bars often get bent picking the bike up wrong. I said slightly. I use to true frames on my bench. It took time and the right tools. Rather than throwing them away, they sent them to me as "rework" Wasn't even my fault but as a finish welder, it was my job. :angry: I quit and went to pounding nails. More money and I wasn't stuck in a "sweat shop" :woohoo:
Steve

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
12 Jun 2016 19:00 #731127 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?
Tried to measure my handlebars that are on the bike with the Emgo cushion grips that are on it. I got:

2.5" Rise
7.0 Pullback
2.25" Height
30.5" Width

These are approx. measurements and probably a little off with the handlebar grips on the bike. But definitely at the end of the grips , it is slightly lower in height than the rise ( tilt down a little ). I like the feel of the bars on it now, so like to have something that is similar.

The outside measurement of the upper handlebar clamps is 4 5/8" so I would think that the center measurement would have to be at least this?

77' KZ1000A

More
12 Jun 2016 20:19 #731139 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?
I've been riding with Euro or Daytona bars on my KZ1000 for over 35 years.
The letter "G" in that diagram are my current choice and found them for $22.00 and free shipping on Amazon.
I would not waste my time trying to straighten and rebend damaged bars...for that cost.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Jun 2016 20:56 #731151 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Handlebar Suggestions ?

Nessism wrote:

swest wrote: If they are slightly bent you can put the bike in full lock(turn) and bend it back. If too much, the chrome will crack and chip leaving them ugly and useless.
Steve

I don't like this idea Steve. Too much stress going into the soft aluminum handlebar clamps on the triple clamp. Better safe than sorry.

Check These guys out! I am listing some parts I just restored. 1975 Hodaka 100cc only! Road Toad, Combat Wombat!
I don't know much about them. But $50 bucks bought me a roller! Already made $250.
But The bar clamps are STEEL! OEM!
Plus the swing arm has a shaft that has a zerk fitting on the end to grease, hs holes in it, to the inside! Too bad Kawasaki did not do that with their swing arms, I would not have had to pound out 100's of them over the years!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments: