Can I do this,and how???

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • (2) 1980 kz1000 b-ltd,,h2-750 triple,sold.kz 550 ,
More
18 May 2016 09:57 #727221 by Tirefire Pat
Can I do this,and how??? was created by Tirefire Pat
Hey guys,can I swap my front-end,,,1980. 1000b....for an 07 zx6 front end???what would I have to change. Here's a pic of his zx front-end.

Attachment IMG_20160518_125345.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2016 10:01 #727222 by Tirefire Pat
Replied by Tirefire Pat on topic Can I do this,and how???
Or would it be smarter to buy a complete front-end,, including brake system,wheel ect all together??????? Thanks for any input... Pat

More
18 May 2016 10:09 - 18 May 2016 10:10 #727223 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Can I do this,and how???
Steering stem change ,Lock stop modification and then the front end will probably be too low causing shopping trolley handling above 100mph and the exhaust collector scraping under hard braking so you will then need a method of extending the forks by either a stepped top yoke , leg extensions or both.
If using the original 'B' wheel then there's spindle/bearing and spacer mods plus lining up the brake calipers and discs.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 18 May 2016 10:10 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tirefire Pat

• Tirefire Pat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2016 10:23 #727227 by Tirefire Pat
Replied by Tirefire Pat on topic Can I do this,and how???
Does anyone have a recommendation as to a modern sport bike front-end that would be an ideal swap as far as length and aiding in the bikes handling on Twisty road rides...?? Pat. Thx zed

More
18 May 2016 10:33 #727231 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Can I do this,and how???
Id go for (I went for) the complete front end with wheel and brakes.Far less hassle than trying to mix and match. As zed1015 says,youll need a stem swap.
As for clearance issues. Could be a problem as is .I dont know how long ZX6 forks are. ( I went for ZX9R as theyre meant to be the longest upsy dupsys available). Stepped yokes or forks extensions are a possible way around this. Many people here have done this mod before so theres lots of info on the site.Im going through it at the moment (Link in my signature) and you can also look at kawaholics 'Phoenix fighter' build thread( looks like hes going for a stepped yoke).
No idea about handling as it depends on a combination of many factors,not just the front fork length and every bike is different.Ive yet to read a thread where someone whos done this mod has experienced 'shopping trolley' handling,though to be fair that could be down to pride/emarassment! Mine hasnt turned a wheel in anger yet so I cant say one way or another. Im just plowing on with the build living in hope.
Brave or naive? Time will tell!

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
18 May 2016 11:55 #727244 by zed1015

Tirefire Pat wrote: Or would it be smarter to buy a complete front-end,, including brake system,wheel ect all together??????? Thanks for any input... Pat

For usd's find a zx9r front end.
As stated they are just about acceptable length wise and can be lengthened internally by 32mm with a simple damper rod modification.
The stem swap is fairly easy as the std zed stem OD in the bottom yoke is the same as the zx9 stems ID at the same point so will press together with a ring of weld around the bottom inside to secure the two.
There's a small bit of machining needed on the top yoke to take the stem and to drop it a little to help gain some more frame height.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

More
18 May 2016 13:02 #727257 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Can I do this,and how???

zed1015 wrote:

Tirefire Pat wrote: Or would it be smarter to buy a complete front-end,, including brake system,wheel ect all together??????? Thanks for any input... Pat

As stated they are just about acceptable length wise and can be lengthened internally by 32mm with a simple damper rod modification.
The stem swap is fairly easy as the std zed stem OD in the bottom yoke is the same as the zx9 stems ID at the same point so will press together with a ring of weld around the bottom inside to secure the two.
There's a small bit of machining needed on the top yoke to take the stem and to drop it a little to help gain some more frame height.

Youve got my attention now.Whats this damper rod modification?? Need details!

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
18 May 2016 13:17 - 18 May 2016 13:26 #727262 by zed1015

davido wrote:

zed1015 wrote:

You've got my attention now.Whats this damper rod modification?? Need details!

Basically you just extend the damper rod,preload tube and spring spacer by 32mm ( that's the max you can go ).
It's the same as I did with the ZX10R forks in my Z900 café build thread so just look on there, it'll be quicker than me explaining it again here and there's pictures there too.

Last edit: 18 May 2016 13:26 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davido, Tirefire Pat