kz650c mag wheel front collar install

More
07 Apr 2016 15:25 #719770 by blink543
kz650c mag wheel front collar install was created by blink543
I want to put the bearings back in but in the diagram they are showing a collar going thru the front wheel. it looks like it goes thru the speedometer gear side. but I'm confused how it goes in. it doesn't fit in the inside race of the bearings. does it just float in there? I didn't take these out so I never got to see how they were taken out.

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2016 05:05 - 08 Apr 2016 05:12 #719838 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz650c mag wheel front collar install
From the diagrams at Partzilla the stuff on the 77 C1 is similar to my 81 650-CSR. The right side bearing on the csr has to be installed first, then install the flanged collar/spacer thru the left/speedo side, then the left side bearing. On the csr that collar can only be installed thru the left side, so on your bike test fit the collar to verify which bearing should be done first. To deter corrosion I applied a thin coat of marine bearing grease to the axle & collar.

I think when the axle nut is tightened, the collar contacts the inner races.

To install the bearings apply a light coating of wheel bearing grease to the outer races & wheel so that they can be driven easier. I use a bona fide bearing driver. some guys improvise, instead of buying the tool.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 05:12 by martin_csr.

More
08 Apr 2016 07:27 #719849 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic kz650c mag wheel front collar install

martin_csr wrote: From the diagrams at Partzilla the stuff on the 77 C1 is similar to my 81 650-CSR. The right side bearing on the csr has to be installed first, then install the flanged collar/spacer thru the left/speedo side, then the left side bearing. On the csr that collar can only be installed thru the left side, so on your bike test fit the collar to verify which bearing should be done first. To deter corrosion I applied a thin coat of marine bearing grease to the axle & collar.

I think when the axle nut is tightened, the collar contacts the inner races.

To install the bearings apply a light coating of wheel bearing grease to the outer races & wheel so that they can be driven easier. I use a bona fide bearing driver. some guys improvise, instead of buying the tool.

well what's weird is if I get both bearings in, that collar will be touching the inner races of both bearings causing them to no want to spin.

Adam james

More
08 Apr 2016 08:01 - 08 Apr 2016 08:02 #719856 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz650c mag wheel front collar install
The inner races don't spin --- they're locked in place by tightening the axle nut. The outer races spin with the wheel.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 08:02 by martin_csr.