Kz550 wheel rotor?

• chris_heiges
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2016 13:39 #718540 by chris_heiges
Replied by chris_heiges on topic Kz550 wheel rotor?
But we're building a custom swing arm for it so I'm going to put the caliper wherever it needs to be. If it looks like it's going to cause problems when I start mocking it up I'll stop and find one with and offset, or even figure out what the offset is and put enough spacer on the screws to get where it needs to sit so when I do get one with and offset it'll still line up. How's that sound??

Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2016 14:04 #718547 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz550 wheel rotor?
Sounds like a problem to me, but what do I know? :lol: :lol: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• chris_heiges
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2016 14:07 #718548 by chris_heiges
I see the thickness of the rotor may be a concern but I'm wondering if it would be ok since the majority of the weight and virtually all of the stopping power is going to be on the front wheel? Also that rotor was for a heavier bike maybe? I can use all the help possible trying to do this in one shot don't want to be changing things down the line too much.

Maybe there's a newer bike out there with rear rotors that has a 4 bolt pattern? Like a 250 or so?

Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

More
31 Mar 2016 14:14 #718549 by 650ed
Why not get a rotor and caliper that were made for the rear brake? Ed

• chris_heiges
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2016 14:19 #718551 by chris_heiges
I was going to get a kz650 rotor and caliper but I'm having a hard time finding new rotors for that model. And since I'm going to have to weld on the mounting points for the caliper anyway it seems I have the luxury of being able to choose whatever is most convenient and works.

Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

More
31 Mar 2016 14:49 - 31 Mar 2016 14:51 #718556 by 650ed
I'm not sure what you mean by welding mounting points for the caliper. The caliper is not, and must not be, welded to anything; if you weld the caliper to anything your brakes will not function properly. The caliper is fastened to the caliper bracket and the axle runs through the caliper bracket. The caliper must be able to move laterally within the caliper bracket or the brake will not work. The caliper is prevented from spinning on the axle by the torque link. I suggest you do a bit more research on how the brake is configured so you gain a thorough understanding of it before buying anything. Regarding rotors, used rear KZ650 rotors are pretty easy to find on eBay - there are several of them there. As far as buying "new" rotors, I believe you will find them to be a bit expensive, so you might instead consider having a used rotor resurfaced. The folks at the link below do that properly for $35. Ed

www.truedisk.net/

Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 14:51 by 650ed.

• chris_heiges
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2016 17:33 #718574 by chris_heiges
ill send pics when it's on there thanks for the help figuring out the what year and model the back wheel was.

Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide