Clueless on rear shock upgrade

More
21 Mar 2016 13:25 #716575 by Roper
Clueless on rear shock upgrade was created by Roper
Alright guys, I know this gets brought up a ton and I've done a bit of research and I'm still not sure which direction to go. I recently purchased a 79 kz650 and I would like to upgrade the rear shocks because the front fork is from a gsxr so why not upgrade the back as well eh? So basically I have absolutely no idea what to look for, and I'm not keen on spending $1k on the crazy fancy race suspension. And I do not want cheap China parts either so I would like to meet in the middle somewhere. I'm a novice rider and won't be racing around like a maniac anytime soon. I'm about 180lbs with no gear on and I'm not sure on weight of the bike. Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2016 13:35 #716578 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clueless on rear shock upgrade
Hagons work great on my KZ650. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Mar 2016 13:36 #716580 by Roper
Replied by Roper on topic Clueless on rear shock upgrade
I have heard mixed things about those, more people seem to like them than not like them. I do really like the externals reservoir look but what would I gain with that?

More
21 Mar 2016 13:43 #716584 by Grnole
Replied by Grnole on topic Clueless on rear shock upgrade
Hi - I just upgraded the shocks on my kz1000 to Hagons. I have not heard many people say negative things about them. They are moderately priced, less than progressive, but based on how you plan on riding, they have a stiffer feel to them. I personally went to them because my factory 30+ year old shocks were bottoming out. I did not get external reservoirs in mine, and I am not sure those are Hagons you are thinking of. Many of the external res shocks can be had off fleabay.

If you call Z1 enterprises, they will ask you a serious of questions about your height, weight, riding style and goals, and will be able to help you pick something that will benefit you the best for your ride.

If you are looking for look, and price... then you can go on ebay, and find some cool looking Chinese shocks for a pretty good rate.

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

More
21 Mar 2016 13:44 - 21 Mar 2016 13:46 #716585 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clueless on rear shock upgrade
I don't believe you would gain anything for normal street riding, but others may disagree. Hagon makes a pretty wide range of shocks (see link below); I don't think they make remote reservoir types, but I might be wrong. Ed

davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cg...GON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 13:46 by 650ed.

More
21 Mar 2016 14:23 #716588 by Roper
Replied by Roper on topic Clueless on rear shock upgrade
Thanks for the input guys, I'm thinking I'll get the whole front end serviced and then get some hagon shocks.