Tire Weigh in

More
21 Mar 2016 10:13 #716536 by Grnole
Tire Weigh in was created by Grnole
Hi -

Currently running Shinko tires on my KZ1000.

Front tire - 100 X 90 X 19
Rear Tire - 130 X 90 X 16

The front tire loses air pressure every few months, and the rear is showing cracking in the sidewalls. These tires have a great amount of tread on them..

Currently I have the front wheel off, while i construct a tool to remove the security bolt in a leaky fork, and I am thinking now is the time to replace tires. (my gator grip wont fit, so Im going to try the threaded rod method)

Are shinko's just cheap and that's why I am seeing these issues?

I am pricing out some Pirelli Sport Demons - going to roll with the same size, and Want to make sure if I am going to spend over $200 for the pair, that I get the most bang for my buck. Any weigh in from the masters?

Also - I want to point out, I just slammed on some Hagon replacement shocks... and though they are a bit longer than what was on there, I am liking the stance, and cannot wait to see how the rear holds up!

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2016 11:49 - 21 Mar 2016 11:58 #716554 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Tire Weigh in
Shinko tires are great tires, I've never heard of the issues you raise being something specific to Shinkos. How old are the tires? I had some very expensive Avon tires on my KZ1000A2 when I bought it, they were about 7 years old and cracking despite less than 1k on the tires and it being stored inside. I replaced them with the Shinko 230 Tourmasters for $126 for the pair delivered to my door, I think they are great tires and know others have had good fortune with them too.

I see the affordability of the Shinkos to be advantageous because having several bikes, it makes age related changing more affordable as I rarely wear tires out before needing new ones. I don't personally believe you sacrifice quality with Shinko either, or I wouldn't buy them. I just got the Shinko Raven tires for my BMW R1100r based on reviews I've read and experience with 712's and 230's. The 712's on my KZ650 are 7-8 years old, so due for change too, but no signs of any cracking, drying out or losing air.

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't a 1980 bike still run tubes? so if you are losing air the problem would be with the tubes and/or valves not the tires themselves.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 11:58 by redhawk4.

More
21 Mar 2016 12:36 - 21 Mar 2016 12:37 #716567 by Grnole
Replied by Grnole on topic Tire Weigh in
Hey Redhawk -

Thanks for the response. I am curious if the tubes are in there or not.... (they should be, and if they arent, I plan on installing them with the new set of tires I get.)

I seem to be finding all sorts of shortcuts from the PO that sold me this bike. Honestly I was a novice wrencher when I bought it, and I did not know what to look for. I took his word that they were brand new rubber, when I bought it.... but - I cannot be too sure about that. I wonder if I can tell how old they are by a serial number..... I have had the bike now for almost 3yrs, and its stored indoors.

I think they were prob new in tread, but likely old in age.

Also - the 16" rear rim is not stock.. But I dont mind it, and Its not worth changing as everything works well the way it is. But - I really just wasn't sure about the shinko brand..... Maybe I look at a newer set... much better pricing than pirelli's

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 12:37 by Grnole.

More
21 Mar 2016 12:38 #716569 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire Weigh in
I'm a big fan of Pirelli Sport Demons. I put my first pair on in 2009 at 47,750 miles. In 2013, at 55,000 miles, the rear tire was showing a fair amount of wear. I NEVER let my tires get too worn down so I inspected the tire thinking I would change it out in another thousand miles or so. Upon inspection, I notice a small section (about 1/2") in the middle of the tread that had a feathered line that appeared to be a seam or some other artifact of the manufacturing process that was showing. It wasn't anything that was about to separate or result in a flat tire, but didn't look right to me; since i was planning the replace the tire anyway it wasn't a big deal. I decided to just replace the tire a little sooner than anticipated, so I bought another Sport Demon. I thought it might be worth mentioning the feathered line to the tire dealer, so I took the old tire in to show them. The dealer said he would send the tire to Pirelli for their opinion. MUCH to my surprise, Pirelli reimbursed me 100% for the new tire I bought! That really was unexpected since I had used the old tire for more than 4 years and more than 7,000 miles! So not only do the Pireli tires grip the road really well and hold up for many miles; Pirelli also stands behind their products better than any company I have ever dealt with. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grnole

More
21 Mar 2016 12:58 #716574 by Grnole
wow. nice ed. I think i saw another thread where you mentioned Pirelli's and thats why I was gravitating towards them. I am not against spending an extra $100 for them... i think my existing tires are likely older than the PO had said. And I am quite curious if tubes are in them...

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

More
21 Mar 2016 13:41 #716583 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire Weigh in
The 1980 KZ1000-B4 (LTD) came with tubes (see link below), so you should definitely replace the tubes. This is normal every time you install new tires. When I bought my Pirelli tires I was advised by the folks at Pirelli to use Metzeler tubes. The two are sister companies, so since Pirelli didn't offer tubes in my size but Metzeler did the choice made sense. Ed

www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kawasaki#...00-B4-1980/070061L-5

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Mar 2016 14:25 #716589 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Tire Weigh in
If the tires are remotely of recent production there will be an oval marking on the side wall that contains the date code, i think it's week followed by year.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

More
21 Mar 2016 15:47 #716598 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Tire Weigh in

650ed wrote: I'm a big fan of Pirelli Sport Demons. I put my first pair on in 2009 at 47,750 miles. In 2013, at 55,000 miles, the rear tire was showing a fair amount of wear. I NEVER let my tires get too worn down so I inspected the tire thinking I would change it out in another thousand miles or so. Upon inspection, I notice a small section (about 1/2") in the middle of the tread that had a feathered line that appeared to be a seam or some other artifact of the manufacturing process that was showing. It wasn't anything that was about to separate or result in a flat tire, but didn't look right to me; since i was planning the replace the tire anyway it wasn't a big deal. I decided to just replace the tire a little sooner than anticipated, so I bought another Sport Demon. I thought it might be worth mentioning the feathered line to the tire dealer, so I took the old tire in to show them. The dealer said he would send the tire to Pirelli for their opinion. MUCH to my surprise, Pirelli reimbursed me 100% for the new tire I bought! That really was unexpected since I had used the old tire for more than 4 years and more than 7,000 miles! So not only do the Pireli tires grip the road really well and hold up for many miles; Pirelli also stands behind their products better than any company I have ever dealt with. Ed

I, Like Ed, am a big fan of Pirelli Sport Demons, I think they are Great gripping tires, especially in the rain, I cant vouch for Avon's , or Shinko's because I've never used them, they ARE cheaper in price, but my life is more important than a few extra dollars, & a lot of people like Shinko's & Avon's as well, because of the cost factor, but I don't think they've tried the Pirellis
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
22 Mar 2016 04:34 #716680 by Grnole
So - I want to be clear, I really have no opinion on the tires on my bike currently, i did not put them on, and I will say, they did not give me a problem. But with the excessive cracking in my rear, and the air pressure issues in my front tire, I am going to change them.

Based on the previous mention that there should be a date code on them, I checked, and have not found anything, which suggest my awesome PO prob sold me some really oil tires with good tread.

that being said. I am likely going to pull the trigger on the Pirelli tires / tubes. I have some Revzilla gift money to burn from Xmas time.

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

More
22 Mar 2016 12:57 #716789 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tire Weigh in

Grnole wrote: Hi -

Currently running Shinko tires on my KZ1000.

Front tire - 100 X 90 X 19
Rear Tire - 130 X 90 X 16

The front tire loses air pressure every few months, and the rear is showing cracking in the sidewalls. These tires have a great amount of tread on them..

Currently I have the front wheel off, while i construct a tool to remove the security bolt in a leaky fork, and I am thinking now is the time to replace tires. (my gator grip wont fit, so Im going to try the threaded rod method)

Are shinko's just cheap and that's why I am seeing these issues?

!

No, all tires rot eventually. It's caused by sunlight and air.

1979 KZ-750 Twin