New (HEL) SS Brake Lines

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Mar 2016 15:11 #714765 by daveo
New (HEL) SS Brake Lines was created by daveo
Should be installing them this weekend. Any recommendations or concerns toward making a smooth transition from having stock brake lines? The kit includes all new components necessary for the job, as I understand. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2016 15:37 - 10 Mar 2016 20:35 #714769 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic New (HEL) SS Brake Lines
Nope just install them..... Torque the fittings down enough to stop the leak, but don't go further than that. The supplies copper washers will do the rest. Make sure you pay attention to the banjo/end position as some may look really similar, but they are not the same and will fit better one way vs another. Then add washers and torque them.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 20:35 by NakedFun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
10 Mar 2016 19:58 - 10 Mar 2016 20:00 #714825 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic New (HEL) SS Brake Lines
Make sure you have plenty of time to do it, unbolting old lines and fitting new ones is pretty easy, but sometimes it's not as easy to bleed the system afterwards as you think it's going to be. Ideally you want a vacuum bleeder but also make sure your lines are routed so air can find it's way back to the master cylinder and reservoir. When I put new lines on my KZ1000 I could draw the fluid through, but could not get anything close to the brake lever operating, in the end I realized the "splitter" where the one line goes to two was at an angle where air couldn't escape. It was made worse because I was using my engine hoist to lift the bike, because I'd had the forks out and so it was sitting a little higher at the front than normal. I unbolted it from the bike so I could change the angle and immediately started to get success and the lever firming up, it still took a while to get the air out and it was amazing how even the tiniest air bubble coming up into the reservoir effected the firmness of the brake lever.

As a general tip keep some water handy in case you spill any fluid on your paint or anything so you can get it off immediately with a really wet cloth before it damages anything.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 20:00 by redhawk4.

More
10 Mar 2016 20:39 #714834 by NakedFun
You can use a hand operated MitiVac to pull the fluid through and past the bleeders. Makes bleeding much better. Also, use a large screwdriver handle and tap/rap on the calipers if you find difficulty in getting a firm lever. It will help dislodge the air bubbles that may be clinging to the small, internal cavities of the caliper(s).

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Mar 2016 22:37 #714844 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic New (HEL) SS Brake Lines

redhawk4 wrote: Make sure you have plenty of time to do it, unbolting old lines and fitting new ones is pretty easy, but sometimes it's not as easy to bleed the system afterwards as you think it's going to be. Ideally you want a vacuum bleeder but also make sure your lines are routed so air can find it's way back to the master cylinder and reservoir. When I put new lines on my KZ1000 I could draw the fluid through, but could not get anything close to the brake lever operating, in the end I realized the "splitter" where the one line goes to two was at an angle where air couldn't escape. It was made worse because I was using my engine hoist to lift the bike, because I'd had the forks out and so it was sitting a little higher at the front than normal. I unbolted it from the bike so I could change the angle and immediately started to get success and the lever firming up, it still took a while to get the air out and it was amazing how even the tiniest air bubble coming up into the reservoir effected the firmness of the brake lever.

As a general tip keep some water handy in case you spill any fluid on your paint or anything so you can get it off immediately with a really wet cloth before it damages anything.

Good points to consider while at it. This may be a good opportunity to pop the pistons and clean out any gunk residing in there since the last time 3-4 years ago (if not longer). :unsure:
...but the best way to ensure confidence of having the overall project work the best it can.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 Mar 2016 14:38 #715134 by daveo

NakedFun wrote: Nope just install them..... Torque the fittings down enough to stop the leak, but don't go further than that. The supplies copper washers will do the rest. Make sure you pay attention to the banjo/end position as some may look really similar, but they are not the same and will fit better one way vs another. Then add washers and torque them.

Cory

This stopped the project today before it started. All lines were made longer than ordered, but this one was problematic... :angry:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
15 Mar 2016 08:05 #715502 by daveo

daveo wrote:

NakedFun wrote: Nope just install them..... Torque the fittings down enough to stop the leak, but don't go further than that. The supplies copper washers will do the rest. Make sure you pay attention to the banjo/end position as some may look really similar, but they are not the same and will fit better one way vs another. Then add washers and torque them.

Cory

This stopped the project today before it started. All lines were made longer than ordered, but this one was problematic... :angry:

Does this installation look ok?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
15 Mar 2016 08:21 #715505 by NakedFun
Looks good to me. Just lift up on the handle bars while on the center stand to ensure slack is adjusted for the forks extending fully.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900