Spokes , my first

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Dec 2015 12:00 - 29 Dec 2015 12:08 #704793 by GregZ
Spokes , my first was created by GregZ
New spokes got here at 2;30. Complete disassemble and re lace in 90 minutes, done at 4 My first attempt so I don;t think that was too bad.
Someone told me to twist tie the spokes together and replace one at a time. The idea got flushed rather quickly.

I'll just have to have my buddy true it for me

Done

eBay junk

Last edit: 29 Dec 2015 12:08 by GregZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Dec 2015 13:09 #704800 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Spokes , my first
Nice work!

I've built a good many bicycle wheels but never a motorcycle wheel. I'm sure the technique is the same though. I've even got a truing stand which makes the job easier. The trick is to stress relieve the wheel from time to time so assure none of the spokes are winding up.

More
30 Dec 2015 03:13 #704855 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Spokes , my first
Excellent. Are the new spokes ss & may I ask where you got them?
I've been thinking of rebuilding the wheels on my 650-CSR --- they're 48 spokers, up in the attic, just sitting there, doing nothing. doh.

More
30 Dec 2015 07:11 #704901 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Spokes , my first
I've done a bunch of wheels, if you're just replacing the rim you can tie the spokes together with tape. Replacing everything, use a marker or small centerpuch and mark the hub and rim of one spoke. This is the "key spoke" and will make relacing from scratch easy. When you install the new key spoke, just follow the spoke pattern with a photo of an assembled wheel.

Here's some more info on relacing I posted a while back: kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/415983-new-s...nent&type=raw#416074

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
30 Dec 2015 11:11 #704925 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Spokes , my first
If you're going to be doing wheels again in the future, the Harbor Freight wheel balancing stand is probably worth the investment. I works fine for a truing stand as well.

Attachments: