Shaft vs chain.

More
01 Dec 2015 13:48 #701420 by medic455
Shaft vs chain. was created by medic455
I apologize if this has been covered before, I searched but never found a topic for my exact situation. I have an 82 750 specter I am working on. Got it for next to nothing and have been working on chopping the rear of the frame painting and restoring all of the small bits suspension and break parts. Next I planned to move on to the engine. It has a terrible bore, one rusty cam, bent rod, and all the covered and scratched to hell. So I am looking for a replacement engine to start off with, something with lower miles than the 70+ that was on the bike when I got it to swap in. I am not married to the shaft drive and since I am replacing the whole engine anyway would it be smart to look for chain drive engine also? Both of the shock studs on the swing arm were stripped so I am also looking for a new swing arm. Plenty for cheap on ebay.

So what it boils down to is this. If I buy a chain drive engine and swing arm, what else would I need? I am guessing the rear wheel will not work but I kinda like the idea of a larger diameter rear wheel anyway. Did kawasaki make a chain drive LTD model with rear disc that would be worth looking for? I am leaning this way also because I like the idea of being able to swap sprockets.

I hope I was clear in explaining where I am in this and thanks in advance for your help! This forum has helped me a million times over just but searching the archives.

Do what is right, do what is necessary. Everything else is negotiable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2015 13:54 #701424 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Shaft vs chain.
I have a 1980 KZ750 Ltd, it has chain drive and rear and front disc brakes, I would imagine the 81,82, 83 would be the same.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

More
01 Dec 2015 14:44 #701435 by medic455
Replied by medic455 on topic Shaft vs chain.
Thanks Mopguy, I figured they did. I am leaning in the chain drive direction and found some of the LTD wheels with disc on ebay. I suppose it would be just small parts after that. Also thinking about a 650 to open up my option. I am not too worried about speed and I haven't ridden in many years so might even be better off. And once I am more experienced and have a bigger budget build it up over a winter. I am pretty sure the 650/750 are the same externally? Thanks again.

Do what is right, do what is necessary. Everything else is negotiable.