Frozen brakes

More
13 Nov 2015 02:14 - 13 Nov 2015 02:15 #698418 by mattblowers
Frozen brakes was created by mattblowers
My KZ400 front brakes are FUBAR. The reservoir was filled with crystalized gunk and every hose was corroded shut. I had hoped to save the caliper at least, but even after a soaking the bleeder valve sheered off and what I could see was a rust/gunk filled travesty. These things are not salvageable, at least not with my talents. Any suggestions on way to get some front end brakes on this thing?

At this point I don't want to spend too much. I'm just trying to get the thing down the road. All the ones I found online are either frozen as well or I have to spend a couple hundred bucks to buy each piece seperately. If I have to do that I'm gonna do a front end modern swap and go a completely different direction with the bike.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 02:15 by mattblowers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 03:24 - 13 Nov 2015 03:25 #698424 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Frozen brakes
If I were you I'd be looking on ebay for some decent quality used parts. It shouldn't be overly difficult to find a caliper. Just know up front that you must take the piston out and clean out the thing, and quite likely replace the piston and seals during this process. Use OEM Kawasaki seals and piston; stay clear of aftermarket parts if you want to assure success without dinking around. Replace the hose as a matter of course with a NEW line, hopefully employing teflon/stainless material. For the master, I think you can either find a low mileage used master off a late model bike that also uses a single disc brake, or get one of the multitude of new chinese masters off ebay or similar. Making a master cylinder is quite simple so no big worry with going chinese for a part like this.

If all this is just too much money for you than I'd sell the bike. You gotta pay to play, and brakes are not the area to skimp on.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 03:25 by Nessism.

More
13 Nov 2015 07:05 - 13 Nov 2015 07:07 #698468 by mattblowers
Replied by mattblowers on topic Frozen brakes
This bike is a project with my teenage daughter. I am well aware of the cost of maintaining a bike (I have 3 others). The bike was free and I'm not gonna sink $2,000 dollars into getting it running and road worthy when I can buy one that someone else did that too for less $1,200. Not like a KZ400 is a high demand collectors item. If there is no cheap fix and the rest of the bike is affordable to get on the road I'll do a gixxer front end swap and put some real brakes on it and go a customized route with the bike before I sink $300 on parts to put it back to the stellar late '70s budget bike brakes. Hoses are a given, as the one taken off the bike will never have anything pass through them again. Costs starts to add up if you need the pressure switch, caliper, brake lines, and master cylinder, which is where I am at.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 07:07 by mattblowers.

More
13 Nov 2015 07:07 - 13 Nov 2015 07:08 #698469 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Frozen brakes
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI bought a M/C from this place about 6-7 yrs. ago for my 80 LTD 1000, & it works as good if not better than the original, & was cheaper than a rebuild kit for the original M.C

Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 07:08 by pete greek1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattblowers