Looking for billet triple tree that fit a 78 kz650

More
08 Nov 2015 16:36 - 08 Nov 2015 16:48 #697822 by StephenLeu
does anyone know where to get a billet triple tree set for a 78 kz650.

Doesn't have to be kawasaki, just need a set that fits the neck and fork diameter. (fork diameter not a huge deal)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2015 16:48 by StephenLeu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2015 00:40 #697848 by les holt

More
09 Nov 2015 06:41 #697892 by StephenLeu
I need something to modify.

More
09 Nov 2015 07:03 - 09 Nov 2015 07:05 #697897 by martin_csr
A couple of places were mentioned in your other topic. I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but it seem like the fork tube spacing could be problematic. ???
Last edit: 09 Nov 2015 07:05 by martin_csr.

More
09 Nov 2015 09:34 #697943 by StephenLeu
I respect your concern. I have top of the line builders and fabricators working on this bike with me. There is no problem with how I am building this. I just need some billet trees that I can save time and work off of.

martin_csr wrote: A couple of places were mentioned in your other topic. I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but it seem like the fork tube spacing could be problematic. ???

More
09 Nov 2015 13:15 #697969 by martin_csr
Okay. then you're a leg up on most folks. The places in your other topic might prove useful.
I've seen custom triple trees for Harleys, so maybe try a google search for billet triple tree or something.

www.customtripletrees.com/

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
09 Nov 2015 13:33 #697971 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Looking for billet triple tree that fit a 78 kz650
You want 36mm tubes, that will be 400/500/550 650/700/750 some z1000 twinshock.

As Martin correctly mentioned, the spacing is important - also what no-one mentioned is the yoke offset and whether or not a leading axle fork spindle.

Top of the line builders and fabricators will just laugh at you if you ask them to try to modify billet slab yokes for spacing or offset. I guess that is the deal with custom one off engineering.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
10 Nov 2015 20:05 - 10 Nov 2015 22:18 #698162 by DoctoRot

StephenLeu wrote: I respect your concern. I have top of the line builders and fabricators working on this bike with me. There is no problem with how I am building this. I just need some billet trees that I can save time and work off of.

martin_csr wrote: A couple of places were mentioned in your other topic. I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but it seem like the fork tube spacing could be problematic. ???

Wait, so do you want some billet triple clamps to modify, take measurements from, or to use? There is not going to be anything that will be off the shelf bolt on except for the top clamp which is purely cosmetic. From looking at your other thread it seams you want to have rake in the trees. The only trees that i know of that have rake in them are for HD owners that don't want to cut the frame. Since you have cut the frame I don't see why you don't rake it out to the degree you want as that is best practice and will not introduce unnecessary complexity. It should be easy for "top of the line builders and fabricators" to take some measurements off your existing clamps and design something digitally to be CNCed if you still want rake in the trees. Otherwise the link that Martin supplied is your best bet.

Tyrell made a great point on the fork offset. All things remaining the same, a lot of rake is going to make the bike to handle like a pig. You will either need to have a good amount of fork offset, leading axle forks, or a combination of the two, to make the bike manageable on the street. FYI stability is not an issue on the 650, I have had mine pinned on many occasions and never experienced any wobble. Unless you are land speed racing, or using triples that have a lot more offset, more rake is purely cosmetic on these bikes.

Anytime you wildly change a bikes geometry it is good practice to evaluate it to make sure its within practical limits. I got real familiar with this rake and trail calculator when doing my fork swap. even a couple mm of offset can have an impact on handling.
rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html
Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 22:18 by DoctoRot.

More
11 Nov 2015 01:24 - 11 Nov 2015 01:25 #698175 by les holt
I gather he is trying to get a way extended front wheel setup, He's raked the frame and by adding raked trees he is possibly shooting to go back to factory trail numbers. Handling would be similar to stock, he wont have the twitchy or one that wants to flop over. Actually the logical choice for what I gather he's after.

Les
Last edit: 11 Nov 2015 01:25 by les holt.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
11 Nov 2015 06:34 #698215 by DoctoRot
why even rake the frame in the first place if you are going to counter that in the triple trees?

More
11 Nov 2015 14:19 #698268 by StephenLeu

les holt wrote: I gather he is trying to get a way extended front wheel setup, He's raked the frame and by adding raked trees he is possibly shooting to go back to factory trail numbers. Handling would be similar to stock, he wont have the twitchy or one that wants to flop over. Actually the logical choice for what I gather he's after.

Les

les is correct. I'm trying to get the trail numbers down. I have a bike with about 40 degree frame rake and it flops bad. I don't want that. I'm after the 40 degree aesthetic but with more control. Hence why I'm after an extended triple tree.

Thanks for the link DoctoRot

More
11 Nov 2015 15:07 #698274 by les holt