master cylinder piston design

More
01 Nov 2015 13:01 #696768 by razmo99
master cylinder piston design was created by razmo99
Hi,

I am still working on my front brakes. Currently they are working I got the MC re sleeved and used the original piston, it holds pressure but is leaking some. I have a new one of ebay but it was leaking alot worse then the original one. when I compared the two the only real difference was the design of the piston.

I am wondering of this could make it leak etc. the main difference between the two is a tapper that goes towards the second cup(the one furthest from the brake lever)

My plan was to swap the rubber from the ebay one to my original as the metal is in good shape.

Do you think it would work?

- Z500 B4
-GPZ900R A9-10 ish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2015 13:11 #696771 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic master cylinder piston design
I would trust a sleeved old cylinder over a new cheaply made cylinder any day.

The biggest issue when buying even good quality brake/clutch pistons and cylinders is that you don't know how long they have been sitting for, and how long they have been stored. I would generally say you should spend the extra on decent quality rubber - but keep in mind that any seal that hasn't been stored correctly will go brittle.

I have had problem with brand new cylinders leaking (clutch slave cylinders on cars in particular), due to cheaply manufactured rubber parts. If you can, getting an OEM or otherwise good quality seal kit will save you in the long term.

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.