Rusted tank

More
25 Oct 2015 08:36 #695887 by nickleo373
Rusted tank was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone
i picked up a new bike to ride around while I figure out whats wrong with my kz550. I stopped on the way home to fill it up with gas not even thinking to check the condition of the tank inside (the outside is pristine). I filled it up with new gas and rode home. I went to check the amount of fuel in the tank the next day and found the inside was full of rust. There are fuel filters leading to both carbs (it's a 71 Honda) and the bike seems to run fine as is. There are no pieces of rust floating around on top of the gas Would it be bad to run the rest of the gas out of the tank instead of wasting a full tank? What is the best way to clear the rust out of the tank?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2015 10:42 #695909 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Rusted tank
Use the search engine and type in something like "rust in gas tank".... etc... everyone has an opinion.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
25 Oct 2015 15:06 - 25 Oct 2015 15:09 #695941 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rusted tank

nickleo373 wrote: Hey everyone
i picked up a new bike to ride around while I figure out whats wrong with my kz550. I stopped on the way home to fill it up with gas not even thinking to check the condition of the tank inside (the outside is pristine). I filled it up with new gas and rode home. I went to check the amount of fuel in the tank the next day and found the inside was full of rust. There are fuel filters leading to both carbs (it's a 71 Honda) and the bike seems to run fine as is. There are no pieces of rust floating around on top of the gas Would it be bad to run the rest of the gas out of the tank instead of wasting a full tank? What is the best way to clear the rust out of the tank?

You can pour the gas out into a two gallon bucket and let the rust ad sediment settle overnight then pour the clean gas off if you don't want to waste it.

Best to clean the rust out of the tank or you will have endless carb problems as the crap goes down and clogs stuff. I think people put BB's or small pebbles inside the tank and agitate it to clean rust. There is also some acid cleaners available. I used the tank Kreme kit on mine 30 years ago and it has held up but some people don't like it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Oct 2015 15:09 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Oct 2015 15:28 #695946 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Rusted tank
Rusty in tank removal, I have tried them all.

Finally tried Apple cider Vinegar and it worked great. It took three four days and make sure you rinse with water and baking soda.
matter of fact I pick up a jug today and have some parts soaking now

here is a random utube video , there are many do a search.

More
25 Oct 2015 15:35 #695948 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Rusted tank
This choke lever was solid rust. I started soaking it this morning. As you can see most is gone, I will let it soak over night and it will look new

I will post another photo tomorrow

Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2015 16:00 #695950 by kz n az
Replied by kz n az on topic Rusted tank
I when through that about 2 wks ago. Look on about page 9 on ( How to remove rust from tank )
everyone had good advice and was very helpful. My tank looks really great now.