fork oil seal replacement

More
21 Oct 2015 20:46 #695421 by blink543
fork oil seal replacement was created by blink543
I'm planning on replacing the seals and oil in my kz650b forks soon because I have a suspicion the seals are wearing out. I read online about it and people are saying it's a real pain in the ass. Why is that?

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
21 Oct 2015 21:41 #695426 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic fork oil seal replacement

blink543 wrote: I'm planning on replacing the seals and oil in my kz650b forks soon because I have a suspicion the seals are wearing out. I read online about it and people are saying it's a real pain in the ass. Why is that?

Suspicion?
If you haven't done it before its a good idea to watch someone do it or follow the manual carefully, especially when filling the oil (if you change the seals , change the oil and clean the internals), Check if the bushes need replacing.
The reason why people are scared because it can be an act balancing the bike (I use a stand under the motor) so it doesn't fall when removing a spring etc.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
22 Oct 2015 01:46 #695431 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic fork oil seal replacement
It also helps to have access to an impact to get that bottom bolt out. Otherwise, you'll need the factory tool or you will need to improvise. The rest is fairly straightforward. The forks themselves are fairly simple.
However, unless they are leaking your suspicions are probably incorrect. Leaky fork seals are fairly obvious...

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
22 Oct 2015 03:34 - 23 Oct 2015 03:18 #695440 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic fork oil seal replacement
The first fork can be a bear, but the second one should be easy. The bottom allen bolts can be difficult to remove ---- as mentioned an air impact gun is typically the quickest way to get them out (forks assembled w spring pressure on the inner cylinders). Use an 8mm brake caliper socket or hardened allen socket. A cheap chinese allen tool may get twisted & ruin the bolt heads.

Fork tool. KZR topic w photo by 650ed --- the 650B is probably the same as the C1 .
Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 03:18 by martin_csr.

More
22 Oct 2015 04:22 #695445 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic fork oil seal replacement
It's not that the job is particularly difficult. Yeah you need to make or buy a few specialty tool. Don't buy because the tools are simple to make. Yeah you have to support the bike with the forks off but again not difficult. The reason most people don't like to do the job is that it can be rather messy. Even with care fork oil seems to get everywhere.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
22 Oct 2015 05:12 #695455 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic fork oil seal replacement
Does a KZ900 have replaceable bushings? Or are seals, springs, and oil the only replaceable items?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
22 Oct 2015 12:16 #695514 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic fork oil seal replacement

ThatGPzGuy wrote: It also helps to have access to an impact to get that bottom bolt out. Otherwise, you'll need the factory tool or you will need to improvise. The rest is fairly straightforward. The forks themselves are fairly simple.
However, unless they are leaking your suspicions are probably incorrect. Leaky fork seals are fairly obvious...

U mean the bolts that hold that thing that goes through the front tire that holds the speedometer drive on?

Adam james

More
22 Oct 2015 12:47 - 23 Oct 2015 03:12 #695516 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic fork oil seal replacement
There are axle holder clamp bolts or nuts & the axle goes thru the speedo drive unit.
He means the bottom allen bolts on the forks.
You have to remove the axle holders first to gain access to the allen bolts --- aka fork cylinder bolts.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 03:12 by martin_csr.

More
22 Oct 2015 13:24 #695524 by blink543

martin_csr wrote: There are the axle holder clamp bolts & the axle goes thru the speedo drive unit.
You have to remove the axle holders first to gain access to the allen bolts --- aka fork cylinder bolts.

These won't come off. They are regular thread right? Not reverse?

Adam james
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2015 13:49 #695529 by blink543

Bozo wrote:

blink543 wrote: I'm planning on replacing the seals and oil in my kz650b forks soon because I have a suspicion the seals are wearing out. I read online about it and people are saying it's a real pain in the ass. Why is that?

Suspicion?
If you haven't done it before its a good idea to watch someone do it or follow the manual carefully, especially when filling the oil (if you change the seals , change the oil and clean the internals), Check if the bushes need replacing.
The reason why people are scared because it can be an act balancing the bike (I use a stand under the motor) so it doesn't fall when removing a spring etc.

Looking online the bushings for my 78 kz650b don't even exist. I should probably just sell the thing. Parts are getting scarce and aren't being produced.

Adam james

More
22 Oct 2015 17:11 - 22 Oct 2015 17:12 #695543 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic fork oil seal replacement

blink543 wrote:

martin_csr wrote: There are the axle holder clamp bolts & the axle goes thru the speedo drive unit.

These won't come off. They are regular thread right? Not reverse?

Those are your axle nuts. They are normal right hand thread. They are tightened to a pretty fair amount of torque so take a little effort, and the 2 nuts down on the bottom of the forks when tightened clamp the axle nuts and the big axle nut can't be loosened until the smaller clamp nuts are loosened first. However to do fork seals no reason to loosen the big axle nuts, just remove all 4 bolts on the bottom of the two fork legs, the clamps can be removed and the whole wheel just falls down off the forks. Be sure and get a manual before doing any work or you're most likely going to do more damage than good. Fork seals are not hard on the 650, but there is a procedure, just like any other job.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 17:12 by RonKZ650.

More
22 Oct 2015 18:41 #695553 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic fork oil seal replacement
A lot of KZ650 parts are the same as for the KZ1000's so most frame and wheel parts are not hard to come by. I did the fork seals on my KZ650B1 when I got it, it was pretty easy really, particularly with an air wrench to crack the Allen bolts in the bottom of the legs. Once you drop the front wheel you will see them in the center bottom of the fork leg. As someone else said, make sure you undo these with the spring pressure on. The air wrench is the key, otherwise the inners will turn and while there are special tools and a makeshift way using a whittled down broom handle that they show in the Haynes manuals, the air wrench is the way to go. I didn't find the seals hard to remove.

One thing to be careful of is the bike coming forward off the center stand while you are doing the job, that made things exciting if I remember :(. I'm doing mine on my KZ1000 in the next few days, I'm going to hook my engine hoist up to lift the front, so that can't happen.

If you get a manual so you get an overview of what you are doing it's really a pretty easy job, just make sure you have the bike supported well and take your time. It's a good idea to remove your gas tank to avoid that getting damaged when working top sides on the fork caps, depending on your bars you usually have to move them out of the way.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care