KZ750 B4 stands

More
15 Oct 2015 20:32 #694715 by Stocky
KZ750 B4 stands was created by Stocky
Nearing the end of a lengthy restoration Iim having some issues with the stands.
1. The centre stand has new springs but when it's up it just bounces under the swing arm. Should it be tensioned somehow?
2. Side stand has strange lockout piece with double spring. Is this normal? I can't see it in any parts diagrams to check spring sizes etc.
3.I have lowered the bike front and rear as I'm vertically challenged so wondering if I could leave the centre stand off as it is now higher to lift onto the stand.
4.different subject, but was wondering if the front guard stays are necessary as mine are in poor condition and I think it looks better without them.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2015 02:19 - 16 Oct 2015 02:21 #694724 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ750 B4 stands
It sounds like you didn't use the correct part when you replaced the center stand spring. The correct spring is very strong and should hold the centerstand up tight. One other thought, does the bike have the stock exhaust? If not, it's possible the center stand is not stopping where it should (against a rubber stop) and is rising to a point where the spring is fully relaxed. If this is the case there are some options to make a simple stop that will keep the center stand positioned correctly.

I would NEVER consider removing my center stand. It makes the bike a million times easier to maintain than a bike with no stand. If you have no stand you will not check the oil as often (bike not level). Changing the oil will be a royal pain in the butt (bike not level). Working on the carbs will be a pain in the butt (bike not level). Removing the rear wheel will be a royal pain in the butt. Lubing the chain will be a pain in the butt. Removing the front wheel will be a royal pain in the butt. Changing fork oil will be a royal pain in the butt. I think you get the picture. If pulling the bike onto the center stand is a problem you may not be doing it correctly. You don't really "lift" the bike; you simply shift its weight rearward and its own momentum should cam it up onto the stand. Also, even if you don't use it all the time, having it there for maintenance tasks makes it worth having.

I don't believe removing the front fender stays is a good idea. They help keep that long front fender from shifting around. If they are gone and the fender shifts a little and comes in contact with the front tire you may have a serious control problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 16 Oct 2015 02:21 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stocky

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 04:23 #694734 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ750 B4 stands
If the bike has been lowered, the stand will be useless unless you have a friend help you. You could use 2X4 blocks under the tires to help .I would never get rid of mine. I use it all the time.
Steve

More
16 Oct 2015 04:32 #694737 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic KZ750 B4 stands
+1 on center stands.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
16 Oct 2015 08:36 #694757 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic KZ750 B4 stands
Front fender stays on

Front fender stays off

Removed stays when I changed forks for small dual disk brakes. Have not had problems (3 years). Make sure fender mount bolts are tight and I doubt you will have problems. +1 on the center stand. Used mine for 4 of Ed's pain in the butt reasons this last week end and glad I have it.
Good luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Attachments:

More
16 Oct 2015 14:11 #694795 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 B4 stands

Stocky wrote: Nearing the end of a lengthy restoration Iim having some issues with the stands.
1. The centre stand has new springs but when it's up it just bounces under the swing arm. Should it be tensioned somehow?

The B4 center stand is designed to have a rubber covered pin butt up against a flat spot on the stock exhaust pipes. Without the stock pipes the center stand does wobble around. I kluged up a way to lash down my center stand using a bungee cord and the two stock exhaust hangers.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 14:33 #694797 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ750 B4 stands
My V/H exhaust came with a cheesy bracket that bolted onto where the left pipes were. It works but I've been planning a better system.
Steve

Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2015 10:54 #694907 by Stocky
Replied by Stocky on topic KZ750 B4 stands
Thanks everyone for your advice, as always on this forum very helpful.
Attachments: