KZ750 (H?) fork oil level manual mismatch

More
02 Oct 2015 13:36 #693043 by Sinaz20
I'm having such a hard time with the front forks on my bike. I think I have an E1 bike with H forks. The forks are leading axle type, and definitely from a KZ.

Now here's the thing... the Clymer manual lists the oil level for the H forks as 14.7 Inches/ 436 mm.

The problem is that 14.7 inches = 373mm and 436mm = 17inches.

So which is it?

Incidentally, the measurements for the E model forks are in mm and inches and they, too, do not convert to each other and are off by over about 2 inches. Did the world change the length of a meter or foot sometime between 1980 and now?

Also, does anyone know a particular measurement or identifcation on the fork that would help me be sure about which model forks these are?

That's S I N A Z. He fights for the Users.
1981 kz750 E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2015 13:49 - 03 Oct 2015 03:02 #693046 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ750 (H?) fork oil level manual mismatch
I put a link to the 750 pdf manual in your progressive spring topic the other day.
Pg 212 of the pdf lists the oil level (without spring) as 436 +/- 4mm from the top of the inner tube.

That pdf is poorly scanned, so you might want to go ahead & get the manual off of eebbaayy. search = KZ750 manual.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2015 03:02 by martin_csr.

More
02 Oct 2015 14:14 #693051 by Sinaz20
Replied by Sinaz20 on topic KZ750 (H?) fork oil level manual mismatch
Thanks again. I was just paging through that and finally found the chart.

I'll go with the mm measurement since it's the same in the Clymer and Kawasaki manuals.

I wonder how Clymer got the conversions so wrong.

That's S I N A Z. He fights for the Users.
1981 kz750 E

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
02 Oct 2015 19:58 #693086 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic KZ750 (H?) fork oil level manual mismatch

Sinaz20 wrote: Thanks again. I was just paging through that and finally found the chart.

I'll go with the mm measurement since it's the same in the Clymer and Kawasaki manuals.

I wonder how Clymer got the conversions so wrong.

because clymer is fire food... kawasaki FSM is people food... ya dig?

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
03 Oct 2015 03:23 #693093 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ750 (H?) fork oil level manual mismatch
At least clymer got the metric measurement right --- the incorrect inches is probably just a typo or something. Kawasaki service manuals assume a certain level of training & competence, so the aftermarket manuals can be helpful to anyone who's new at this stuff as they give a more detailed explanation on theory & whatnot. Just so a long a guy understands their shortcomings & uses the Kaw manual for the specs, torque values & important stuff like that, the other manuals can be helpful. The Haynes might be better than the clymer in that regard, though. ???