Just dreamin'...

More
06 Aug 2015 11:04 #684629 by Shdwdrgn
Just dreamin'... was created by Shdwdrgn
Browsing through google images for ideas again, and ran across some bikes that aren't quite choppers, but definitely have an advanced pitch to the front forks. I did a quick mock-up, rotating the forks of a kz1000ltd by 10 degrees and extending them. I think I really like this look, but I can't imagine how much that would add to the cost of the bike to get this done right.

Ah well, one can dream...

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Aug 2015 17:13 - 06 Aug 2015 17:15 #684690 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Just dreamin'...

If you were local, bring it by the shop, $250, raked and gusseted! Maybe not that much :ohmy:

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2015 17:15 by z1kzonly.

More
06 Aug 2015 19:38 #684730 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Just dreamin'...
Sure, but that's just the frame... I mean, I could do that part myself, but then you have to match up some forks of the right length, and figure out the offset to square up the steering again. Hell, I might have to use math!!! :sick:

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
06 Aug 2015 21:34 #684740 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Just dreamin'...

Shdwdrgn wrote: Browsing through google images for ideas again, and ran across some bikes that aren't quite choppers, but definitely have an advanced pitch to the front forks. I did a quick mock-up, rotating the forks of a kz1000ltd by 10 degrees and extending them. I think I really like this look, but I can't imagine how much that would add to the cost of the bike to get this done right.

Ah well, one can dream...

That thing would steer/handle like an occ chopper. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Aug 2015 21:54 #684745 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Just dreamin'...

PLUMMEN wrote: That thing would steer/handle like an occ chopper. ;)

I'm afraid I don't get the reference? I do understand that extending the forks requires a lot more than simply changing the angle -- you have to compensate for the new angle of the wheel and how it flops over when you turn, change things so that when you do turn the wheel, the tire always maintains the same length to the contact point on the ground. Without doing this, you either get a wheel that is difficult to turn, or worse, a wheel that wants to turn on its own rather than tracking straight. I've seen enough info online that I could perform the calculations myself to correct the various angles to match a new, longer pair of forks. The problem is I'm already two years into this project and I *really* want to get back on the road again.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
06 Aug 2015 22:30 #684747 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Just dreamin'...
It would handle great in a straight line,making any kind of low speed turn would be a wrestling match to say the least .
With that much rake and the trail from those leading axle forks it will want to track straight period,try taking a high speed turn on an early 80s gs1100 Suzuki.
Now multiply the force required by 3. :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.