Upgraded brakes

More
21 Jul 2015 18:54 #682093 by nickleo373
Upgraded brakes was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone. I was planning to sell my KZ550, however now that I am in the process of rebuilding the engine I'm thinking I might keep it as a second bike. One of the major downfalls of the bike is that most of its braking seems to be engine braking. My master cylinder has seized and stripped screws so I see no option other than to replace it. I would like to keep the same caliper and install a new braided brake line, rotor, and pads. Has anyone installed steel lines? Do they actually increase the performance of the brake?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2015 18:59 #682096 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Upgraded brakes
Rather than replace the rotor (if it's in rough shape) you may want to consider having it resurfaced. These folks do it right for $45. Ed

www.truedisk.net

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Jul 2015 20:30 #682105 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Upgraded brakes
New brake lines and hoses will not improve your braking unless there was something wrong with the old ones. Having said this, they're cheap, and hoses especially should be replaced - if there's nothing wrong now, there could be very soon. I've found that hoses tend to fasil when you change something - take it off and put it back on, flush them etc, that's when they tend to fail. Braided hoses perform no better than regular hoses, but the steel mesh can prevent them from getting damaged, and can 'hold in' swelling. Personally, I've never seen external swelling, only internal (where the hose closes up and makes it hard to pass fluid).

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
22 Jul 2015 05:12 #682131 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Upgraded brakes
Refreshing your brake system is always a good idea.The hoses youve got (if original) are 30 plus years old,so replacing them is of course going to improve your brakes.There are lots of different aftermarket options HEL comes to mind and Goodridge .
www.helperformance.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/z550/
goodridge.brakes-hoses-fittings.co.uk/mo...awasaki-400-600.html
NOS Kawasaki items are also an idea ( though probably more expensive).
I dont think braided ones are going to make any significant difference in performance from other modern non braided ones (but they should make a big differnce from 30year old OE.)
If your disks(rotors) arent damaged or worn beyond the limit, you should be able to get away with a good clean. New seals all round in your calipers is also worth doing. Check the pistons in the calipers for pitting in the chrome.You can clean and polish them up as a temporory fix but you risk buggering the new seals. If theyre too far gone,you should look for new pistons (I like to go for stainless steel pistons as theyll last a lifetime).
Overhauling your brake system is not cheap but having good brakes that you can depend on,is quite nice.
Good luck

P.S. Ive been hearing good things about this company.
www.isrbrakes.se/

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
22 Jul 2015 06:05 #682135 by rctreadaway
Replied by rctreadaway on topic Upgraded brakes
Steel lines will make the brakes feel a little more firm. The rubber lines expand ever so slightly.

1980 KZ1000 LTD -
CR Special Carbs/Kerker Exhaust/K&N Pods/Dyna Ign
'09 ZX6R Controls/Rearsets
'06 GSXR1000 Suspension (to be installed)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
22 Jul 2015 06:52 #682146 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Upgraded brakes
+1 Braided lines give a firmer lever pressure in my experience. Old lines you can actually feel them swell, also 30 years later they are fit for the bin really.

I'd be cautious about NOS lines; some rubber and plastic items can deteriorate over time even when left on the shelf.

I always wondered why car manufacturers continue to use steel brake lines when copper is so much better, some bullshit type approval regulations I think.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
22 Jul 2015 08:17 #682158 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Upgraded brakes
+1 on the braded brake lines. The OEM rubber lines were never that good, even when they were new. I've had good luck with EBC organic pads on most of my older bikes. The HH pads are high metal content and are hard on the rotor. I also use KLR650 mastercylinders on my single rotor front brake bikes. Late model mastercylinders can be found on ebay at great prices. I do not trust the no-name mastercylinders from china. They are poorly made and there are no replacement parts to buy.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750