Brake Light Switch-How to Disconnect - KZ550D1 gpz

More
14 Jul 2015 21:34 #680924 by SweetGPz
Hey guys,

Awakening the 81 GPZ from a 11 year slumber. I am rebuilding all calipers & master cylinders. I cannot figure out how to disconnect the brake light switch from it's wire at the front brake lever. The robber boot that covers it kept the connector clean & intact. It looks like I should be able to push in the little tooth that engages the socket on the switch. (making the assumption the thing can come apart and that is the right way to go.)

Getting frustrated. Only one pair of hands and this thing is kind of recessed into the lever assy so I cannot very well hold it and try to disconnect. REALLY dont want to spill brake fluid on the new paint. Or break it. Is there a better way? Special tool? Disconnect plug elsewhere in the harness?

TIA,
Bill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 23:25 #680930 by chirpy999
Hi, use a thin screwdriver to push the tabs in and it will come out. Put some photos up of the bike when you get time, the 81 is one of my favourite bikess

More
15 Jul 2015 07:15 #680955 by martin_csr
Push in the red tab, pull out the switch.

The red paint around the square hole must be a factory thing, because my 81 650 has a little red paint there as well.

More
15 Jul 2015 12:53 #681013 by SweetGPz
Thanks guys. I will give that a try after washing some of the crap out of the area. My GPZ rolled into the sunlight for the first time in 11 years. Fresh paint, Needs all brakes. Went through the carbs. Almost there.

Although tit sounds like the cam chain is slapping at cold idle, really kind of nasty. But it was only running on 3 due to a clogged low speed jet. Will try again when i get the brakes fixed.
Attachments: