Clutch cable & throttle cable modification

More
18 May 2015 10:20 #672616 by Drafter89
Just installed my clip-on's on my 78 kz400 and the cables are to long. Do they sell shorter cables or do I have to do some cutting and soldering?

78 KZ 400 C1-Daily Driver
New Albany,IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
18 May 2015 10:48 #672620 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Clutch cable & throttle cable modification
they sell custom lengths

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
18 May 2015 10:59 #672623 by Drafter89
Replied by Drafter89 on topic Clutch cable & throttle cable modification
So I just need to get some measurements and they'll customize some for me?

Grumpy Ole Artist wrote: they sell custom lengths

New Albany,IN

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
19 May 2015 05:10 - 19 May 2015 05:13 #672704 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Clutch cable & throttle cable modification
If you are using the stock throttle assembly and carbs, and are using the stock clutch perch and lever assembly, and your current cables are stock, do the following:
-Leave the cables attached at the engine, and disconnect them from the controls.
-The cables are already routed under the tank, so just hold them up to the controls with the new bars installed, turn the bars full left and full right, and measure the distance your current cables are too long to reach the controls. Do this by where the throttle cable housing would attach to the throttle assembly, and the clutch cable would attach to the perch adjuster.
-Shorter bars will have your stock cables too long, so this would be your "minus distance", or how much shorter than stock, you would need the new cables to be (for example minus 3").
-Call Motion Pro. They can make custom cables for you.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp
Last edit: 19 May 2015 05:13 by CoreyClough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drafter89

More
22 May 2015 06:59 #673124 by Drafter89
Replied by Drafter89 on topic Clutch cable & throttle cable modification
Awesome man thanks! Just ordered them :laugh:

CoreyClough wrote: If you are using the stock throttle assembly and carbs, and are using the stock clutch perch and lever assembly, and your current cables are stock, do the following:
-Leave the cables attached at the engine, and disconnect them from the controls.
-The cables are already routed under the tank, so just hold them up to the controls with the new bars installed, turn the bars full left and full right, and measure the distance your current cables are too long to reach the controls. Do this by where the throttle cable housing would attach to the throttle assembly, and the clutch cable would attach to the perch adjuster.
-Shorter bars will have your stock cables too long, so this would be your "minus distance", or how much shorter than stock, you would need the new cables to be (for example minus 3").
-Call Motion Pro. They can make custom cables for you.

New Albany,IN