Front wheel out of alignment with handlebars

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 17:21 #671625 by SWest
Go to Z1 Enterprizes one of our vendors here. look up your bike and if they have them, getum.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2015 17:22 #671627 by Hamaya

swest wrote: Go to Z1 Enterprizes one of our vendors here. look up your bike and if they have them, getum.
Steve

Aah, that was the price of new stanchions? Nice!

I went to their website and it doesn't look like they carry any for the 550 :( I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say!

1983 KZ550-M1 LTD Shaft

More
11 May 2015 22:40 - 11 May 2015 22:53 #671703 by Hamaya
Final update for awhile:

After disassembling the forks and doing the roll test, I found that both stanchions are slightly bent, one moreso than the other. No kinks, so I will contact a local shop for a quote on fork straightening. I'm not convinced the triple clamps are tweaked, so I will see where new forks get me.

1983 KZ550-M1 LTD Shaft
Last edit: 11 May 2015 22:53 by Hamaya. Reason: grammar

More
12 May 2015 03:46 #671713 by 650ed

Hamaya wrote: Final update for awhile:

... I'm not convinced the triple clamps are tweaked.....

? Sorry, but they are. The fact that you can rock them on a flat surface, and that picture you posted next to a ruler convinces me you should replace them. They should be dead flat because the length of the fork tubes multiplies the problem. A tweaked triple tree is a bad thing that can get you into trouble quick. I highly recommend you replace them with pieces that you first test. Do this while you have the forks apart and you won't regret it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 May 2015 05:45 - 20 May 2015 05:24 #671721 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Front wheel out of alignment with handlebars

Hamaya wrote: Final update for awhile:
.... I'm not convinced the triple clamps are tweaked...

When pressing down on a corner, does it move much? Mine rocked quite a bit ---- the replacement triple only a tad. And yesterday I checked a spare nos upper triple --- it also moves just a tad. I did not put a straight edge on it.

Fork tubes. Instead of trying to find the tubes, it might be simpler & cheaper to get used forks on eebbaayy. Ask a question or two before purchasing to go on record that you're looking for straight stuff --- for refund or return purposes.
Last edit: 20 May 2015 05:24 by martin_csr.

More
19 May 2015 12:41 #672749 by Hamaya
I figured it was time I updated you all on my bike! I bought a used set of front forks and triple clamps off Ebay. After swapping in these parts, everything is now straight! Later this week I plan to modify a socket for the steering stem locknuts, so I can get them torqued correctly.

Thanks everyone for the help.

1983 KZ550-M1 LTD Shaft