1982 KZ440 G2 single shock

More
01 May 2015 06:46 #670258 by KZScrambler
1982 KZ440 G2 single shock was created by KZScrambler
Hi there, this is my first post with new bike. I recently picked up a 1982 KZ440 G2 that had been turned into a scrambler of sorts. I picked up to replace my 1974 XL350 that I turned into a street tracker/scrambler. The bike was a riot, just a little small for my 6 foot frame. The KZ was customized by the previous owner and it included frame mods for a flat seat mount, custom scrambler pipes, replacing the belt drive with a chain, and a few other minor mods. Since I have had it I added a heat shield and added a more cushioned seat.

My concern is the rear suspension. When the previous owner put in the exhaust, he could no longer fit the right side rear shock. To solve for this he installed a KZ1000 rear shock on the left side. But that's it. I was initially a little sketched out by this but he had ridden it for a couple years with no problems. I have ridden it for a couple weeks with no issues, but I wanted to get other opinions on this. Safe? Unsafe? Insane? I love the current exhaust set up and if i modify it it will likely by to try and move out the mufflers to make room for another shock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2015 12:48 - 01 May 2015 12:50 #670309 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1982 KZ440 G2 single shock
Usually, when a bike is set up like that, the swingarm gets a lot of reinforcement bracing. Obviously, as is, it makes the wheel wobble under hard bumps, and under really hard bumps, I could imagine the chain line getting skewed.

If that 440 still has the 360 degree crank, you can make the exhaust into a 2-into-1. That might give more clearance for second shock.
Last edit: 01 May 2015 12:50 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.