lost title

• KawasakiSlim
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2015 14:56 #668735 by KawasakiSlim
lost title was created by KawasakiSlim
Hi everybody, I have recently run into a huge problem. I bought a 1978 KZ650 in 1995 when i graduated High school, 2 days after i bought KZ 650 I was given a 78 1000 from my father and so I parked 650 in shed and forgot about it over the years. The problem is I never titled the 650 in my name and title is lost, and I don't know name of guy or where to find that sold me the bike. Need a title to get rid of bike. PLEASE HELP!! Jimmy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Apr 2015 15:19 #668739 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic lost title
Where do you live Slim?

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
19 Apr 2015 15:25 #668741 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic lost title
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Blue you're killin me here....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2015 15:30 #668744 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic lost title
That's a valid question.Different places have different rules. So where? :huh:
Steve

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
19 Apr 2015 19:43 #668791 by Mean Green Z28
Replied by Mean Green Z28 on topic Re:lost title
Something something about submit VIN to police to check for any reports of it being stolen and then something about going to the local motor vehicle administration and applying to have bike titled in your name

2010 Camaro 2SS
1983 Kawi KZ1000P ... bag of bolts

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2015 20:15 #668800 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:lost title
I've been through it. Give them the plate # or Vin and start the paperwork. Registered letter to PO, if it comes beck, it's yours.
Steve

More
19 Apr 2015 22:31 #668817 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Re:lost title
He stated he does not remember the guy or where he lives.......Just go to DMV and they will tell you exactly what you need to know/do......there seem to be different rules depending on where you live (this is weird to me bu there you go)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore

More
23 Apr 2015 08:35 #669272 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic lost title
Titles are issued by the State and no two states have the same laws. The process in my state may be completely different from yours. Do some research on your state's MVA/DMV website.
The bike has a license plate in the pictures. Since you never titled it, I assuming this is the Previous Owner's tag. If you know any Law Enforcement Officer, they can get a name and address for you in 30 seconds with that tag number. The MVA could do the same, but they may not be allowed to release the information. Contact the PO and ask them request a replacement title from the state. There will be a small fee that you will need to pay. The PO can then sign the replacement title over to you. You may also want to check any other requirements of your state. I live in Maryland. In addition to the signed title, they require a mileage statement and notarized bill of sale signed by the seller. The name on the BOS must match the seller's name on the title. Assuming you are not going to pay all the transfer fees to title the bike in your name just so you can sell it, you may need some documents from the PO with the new buyers name on them as well,

More
23 Apr 2015 08:50 #669274 by Lmdgr34
Replied by Lmdgr34 on topic lost title
www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html

I've used this guy a few years ago to get two titles that I wasn't getting any help with. Not sure if the new laws have affected his business but wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

1976 KZ900
29mm smoothbores, pod filters, 4-1 pipe....and a whole lot of daydreaming

More
23 Apr 2015 09:22 #669278 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic lost title
It amazes me how careless people are with titles. I never lost a title and owned countless cars and bikes. I have an envelope with the word "TITLES" on it, kept in a big ammo box for over 20 years.

If you can't get a title through your state just buy a frame off Ebay.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Apr 2015 12:49 #669306 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic lost title
My son just stole the title to my bike. I got a duplicate from the DMV. I hope that little son of a Benedict tries to do a transfer. He'll be arrested on the spot.
Steve

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
23 Apr 2015 16:17 #669324 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic lost title

Kidkawie wrote: It amazes me how careless people are with titles. I never lost a title and owned countless cars and bikes. I have an envelope with the word "TITLES" on it, kept in a big ammo box for over 20 years.

I've owned many cars and bikes and never lost a title, and usually i would agree with you. However, i recently got a bike for super cheap without a title. in my efforts to obtain a title I was able to get the original owners info, and his estate attorneys phone number. Turns out he died 3 years ago, and his estate was auctioned off. including several bikes without titles. He presumably had the titles, but they were stashed somewhere that the attorney couldn't find. Also, I was offered a bike by a friend recently that was abandoned on a property he bought, it looked like it had been there a while. I passed on it because was was a honda :P but I imagine things like this happen often.