Stickiest, sporty tires?

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2015 20:14 - 06 Apr 2015 20:15 #666898 by HBKwaka
Replied by HBKwaka on topic Stickiest, sporty tires?
Thats wat Nelson asked....STICKIEST SPORTY TIRES. Earth to Major Steve...
Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 20:15 by HBKwaka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Apr 2015 20:34 #666904 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stickiest, sporty tires?
I was replying to a question then tried to bring it back to the topic.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Apr 2015 21:35 #666905 by SWest
Now this is more on topic. I bought the Shinkos because they have a hard rubber compound down the center of the tire. The sides are of a softer compound for good traction while cornering. They are advertised as such. Being my Z1 has vintage suspension, I don't think it could benefit from sticky racing tires. At least I wouldn't be inclined to push them that far. I the past, yes, not now.
Steve

More
06 Apr 2015 22:36 #666913 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Stickiest, sporty tires?
Dual compound is a good thing for sport/tour tires. Looks like the Conti attacks are the best performing technology available now. Anyone know better??

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
06 Apr 2015 22:43 #666914 by Nelson
By the way, my intended use is this: I often ride the twisty roads with guys on modern sport bikes or naked bikes. I can generally keep up with most of them despite my old bike because I'm a better rider, BUT I do have a big handicap in handling and traction, so I'm looking for the best tires out there.

I have owned several modern crotch rockets with wide 17" tires, so I do know what I'm up against. I like being the old guy on the old bike who can outrun the youngsters. :laugh:

Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
07 Apr 2015 04:58 #666920 by Xl ED
Replied by Xl ED on topic Stickiest, sporty tires?
I switched to Avon Venoms on my Sportster and love them.

I don't live to ride, I ride to live.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Apr 2015 05:26 #666921 by SWest

Nelson wrote: By the way, my intended use is this: I often ride the twisty roads with guys on modern sport bikes or naked bikes. I can generally keep up with most of them despite my old bike because I'm a better rider, BUT I do have a big handicap in handling and traction, so I'm looking for the best tires out there.

I have owned several modern crotch rockets with wide 17" tires, so I do know what I'm up against. I like being the old guy on the old bike who can outrun the youngsters. :laugh:

It's a bitch when some hottie hears Bossie coming and smiles only to see a old guy riding her and looks away.
"What a drag it is being old." :(
Steve

More
16 Jan 2016 19:54 #706981 by Nelson
Follow up - In case anyone would like to know, I decided on the Continental "Classic Attack" tires. As far as I can tell they are the ONLY modern sporty radials available in vintage bike sizes. I've put 2 or 3 hundred miles on them and they are fantastic! Better turn in feel, smoother, more like part of the road. Really a huge upgrade for an old bike. They are pricey, but you are getting a much better set of tires.

The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
17 Jan 2016 05:21 #706998 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stickiest, sporty tires?
What did you do about tubes? I've always read you should not use tubes in radial tires. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jan 2016 05:39 #706999 by SWest

More
17 Jan 2016 06:11 #707003 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Stickiest, sporty tires?

650ed wrote: What did you do about tubes? I've always read you should not use tubes in radial tires. Ed

I am sure he is running tubes. The rims are not designed to run tubeless. Many of them were designed for rim locks and secondly there is a specific ridge on tubeless rims that keeps the seal. I have seen the Japanese boys across the pond make a kit to seal all the spokes holes and run tubeless but it does not resolve the lack of the ridge designed into the rims for tubeless applications. I remember reading about this here years ago.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jan 2016 06:16 #707004 by SWest
I had the displeasure of changing those tires with the locking feature on the beads. Forget the name. MAN what a PITA. Glad he wanted different tires for his bike. :whistle:
Steve