Front end

More
02 Mar 2015 07:43 #663164 by DobbinsCMA
Front end was created by DobbinsCMA
I wonder if anyone has any tips with replacing the springs and fork seals/oil. I have the factory manual but anything else I should know? Stock springs or progressive? Ditch the front end and do a conversion? My rotors are bad too. Thanks.

'80 Kz1000B4
MTC 1075 .375 webcams Mikuni RS34
KZ440 Project
81'KZ750E2 Project
Past- '81 Kz750H :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2015 11:37 #663194 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Front end
If you're looking to make your forks better, you may want to consider installing Race Tech's Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators. They'll definitely bring your forks up to a more "modern" level with some adjustment range as well. The valving does more for a progressive response than the springs.
As far as springs, the most important thing is the correct spring rate. The factory springs were selected for an "average" rider weight and style. You're probably not average to start with, and considering Americans now weighs 15-20 lbs more than in 1980, the stock springs probably aren't right for you. RaceTech's website has a spring rate calculator for your bike. Enter your riding weight and it will tell you the suggested spring rate.
You may just want to give Racetech a call. Their Tech support is very helpful and they know what they're talking about. They'll ask some questions about your bike, weight, riding style and what you want from your suspension (plush, firm...???) and make recommendations. Keep in mind that suspension is a system. Changes to your forks may need balanced with changes to your rear shocks as well.

racetech.com/page/id/56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.