cast alloy microcracks in transmission parts

• Tyrell Corp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
14 Jan 2015 00:18 #658641 by Tyrell Corp
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI've noticed microcracks in both rear sprocket hub and clutch pressure plate. These can grow into bigger cracks over time. I' ve had a rear caliper break and another cracked sprocket hub over the years. It seems that metal fatigue in cast alloy parts is something to watch for.

Just noticed the clutch pressure plate on my 1100, I can't post pics here, but here is an example of what I mean:

The oil has almost worked like a crack testing dye to highlight the cracks. Whether this is crazing on the surface or the cracks go deeper I don't know. My pressure plate looks worse than this.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2015 02:06 - 14 Jan 2015 04:02 #658642 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic cast alloy microcracks in transmission parts
Those markings on the pressure plate are surface casting flash and not cracks.
It is common, and of all the pressure plates I have skimmed and modified over the years for drag racing lock - ups etc they have never extended below the surface.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 14 Jan 2015 04:02 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, 531blackbanshee, Tyrell Corp

• Tyrell Corp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
14 Jan 2015 10:27 #658673 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic cast alloy microcracks in transmission parts
Thanks, I'll try and get a pic, I can see the casting flash too but it also looks to me like surface cracking.
If it was crazed all over maybe, but the cracks seem to be growing from the strengthening ribs.

I had a really nasty crack on the rear hub sprocket carrier on my 1000R, about 2 inches long. I could probably have put a feeler guage in it. I scrapped the part but maybe should have kept it for my 'black museum' of wrecked parts. Also not the sort of thing that gets noticed until a sprocket or bearing change.

Hopefully the rear caliper and hub was a freak event, and I'm wrong on this pressure plate. The other issue would be even if the component IS weakened, if it was made with a 200 or 300 percent safety margin then probably nothing to worry about.

I guess if you are drag racing these and skimming them then any design weakness in this pressure plate casting would be apparent by now.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces