kz650 speedo drive spins (But not like you think)

More
02 Jan 2015 21:06 - 02 Jan 2015 21:07 #657631 by LynxOGrady
So I have a bit of a dilemma concerning the speedometer drive. Last time I had the front end apart, I was going from a single disk to a dual disk, using 650SR drilled rotors and right side caliper. After I got everything put back together, I noticed the speedometer drive would spin with the wheel, as in... whatever held it stationary on the axle has either frozen up, or Im doing something wrong.

Both of those have the same amount of merit, since this is my first bike, i dont know much and, the previous owner didnt take very good care of this ol girl (He had a new Harley and 2013 Mustang GT... which took precedence)
But also another thing to consider is I was planning on deleting the speedometer all together. If I am to go that route, obviously I would need a spacer to take that spot... or just have a speedo drive to accomplish that task. Is there anyone that sells wheel spacers like those or do I need to source another speedo drive to act as the spacer?

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Last edit: 02 Jan 2015 21:07 by LynxOGrady.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2015 07:33 #657642 by TexasKZ
If you are talking about the housing that the speedometer cable screws into, tw/o common causes are incorrect assembly or missing spacers.

The housing is supposed to lock to the fork leg. Look carefully and you will see that there is a protrusion on the fork leg that should be captured in a corresponding slot on the housing . If they are not properly meshed, the housing will rotate most of a revolution or until the cable stops it. To correct this, pull the axle and reinstall the wheel being certain that the lugs line up properly.

If the housing is too far from the fork to engage, then a spacer is likely missing or improperly installed. Consult the FSM or a parts diagram.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
03 Jan 2015 12:54 #657666 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz650 speedo drive spins (But not like you think)
Are you saying the speedometer housing is spinning with the wheel? This thing?

More
03 Jan 2015 13:12 #657667 by RonKZ650
What usually causes problems is the drive is not properly positioned on the wheel. There are two tangs 180 degrees apart that need to be perfectly in line with the two corresponding cut outs on the wheel. It's easy to think you have them aligned when they are not. This is easy to spot when tightening the axle as if the alignment is not correct, tightening the axle will cause everything to be locked together.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
04 Jan 2015 08:43 #657746 by LynxOGrady
Replied by LynxOGrady on topic kz650 speedo drive spins (But not like you think)
Actually... that sounds exactly whats happening. I did note that two tangs sticking out and the two corresponding spots on the speedo drive for them to sit in, However, exactly what you're saying must be happening because every time i tried to put it on, I'd line those up, only to have everything get locked in place and the drive spins with the wheel.

Is there a spacer that can take the place of the drive, or if I delete the speedometer, will I have to keep the drive for the sole purpose of keeping everything lined up?

1979 Kawasaki KZ650

More
04 Jan 2015 14:45 - 04 Jan 2015 14:46 #657765 by baldy110
When I swapped in an Trail Tech Vapor speedo I simply cut up the original speedo drive and used it as the spacer.
[IMG
Last edit: 04 Jan 2015 14:46 by baldy110.