A1 rear brake caliper freezing up LTD wheel

More
27 Sep 2014 20:02 #648986 by daless
My Kawi's rear wheel wasn't spinning nearly as free as it once did. I thought replacing the bearings would help, but now I know there's more going on.

When trying to reinstall the wheel I couldn't quite get the chain adjusters to line up with the ends of the swing arm on the right side. Thought maybe I didn't drive one of the bearings all the way in, but it turned out that there was a small gap between the caliper holder and axle collar that I had trouble closing.

After forcing the gap closed the wheel went on, but the spinning tightened up and the slot of the torque link didn't exactly line up with the caliper. When I pulled out on the top of the caliper things eased up and froze again when I let go.

At that point I noticed the outside of the disc had been scraping on the caliper, even though there is still a decent amount of meat left on both pads, which are worn evenly. The piston wasn't pushed out at all and the pad was even with the caliper surface.

Bled the system dry and took the caliper and rear master cylinder apart, but nothing obvious jumped out at me. As far as reassembly goes I've been comparing A1 and B1 diagrams, and feel like everything should be okay, but is obviously not. Maybe one of you with more experience can shed some light on what I'm missing.

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2014 21:51 #648998 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic A1 rear brake caliper freezing up LTD wheel
Sounds like a missing or out of place spacer. If you are using an LTDwheel on a different model bike, you may need custom spacers to get everything to line up. Forcing alignment is never a good idea.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, daless

More
28 Sep 2014 20:47 #649081 by daless
Replied by daless on topic A1 rear brake caliper freezing up LTD wheel
Solved. Had to move the 4mm thick washer from the outside of the chain adjuster, where it would normally be, to between the caliper and collar. Did have to pry open the swing arm a tiny bit to get everything in there, but now the disc is right in the middle of the pads where it should be and the wheel spins free.

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat