Fork Springs.

More
21 Sep 2014 13:57 #648278 by Zephyrrider
Fork Springs. was created by Zephyrrider
New fork springs for 90 % touring with a mountain range or two for plug cleaning.
Dont want a harsh sporty ride but springs to try and smooth up the crap roads around here. I am @92 KG and ride solo with about 10 KG on back on a trip.
Thanks for any suggestions. As usual there are probably too many brands to choose from.

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2014 14:00 #648279 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Fork Springs.
Measure your fork springs,if theyre in spec try thicker fork oil. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pete greek1, Zephyrrider

More
21 Sep 2014 14:22 #648283 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fork Springs.
Plummen's right again! Adjust your ride by using appropriate fork oil. Bel Ray offers:
2.5W; 5W; 7W; 10W; 15W; 20W; and 30W fork oils. They can be blended to result in any weight between 2.5 and 30W. That will let your ride be anywhere from super soft to hard as concrete. I have always found 15W to work best for me whether riding alone or with a passenger. Ed

www.belray.com/bel-ray-high-performance-fork-oil

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, pete greek1, Zephyrrider

More
21 Sep 2014 14:34 - 21 Sep 2014 14:35 #648286 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic Fork Springs.
Thanks fellas but did all that 6 months ago. New steering head bearings and Motul 10 w oil.
The old springs are pretty sagged ( will measure this week again) so was wondering what aftermarket brands might work for my riding style which is usually pretty slow and steady,

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 14:35 by Zephyrrider.

More
21 Sep 2014 14:44 #648289 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fork Springs.
Sorry, but I don't yet understand your goal. Is your current ride too harsh or too soft? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Sep 2014 15:34 #648291 by Zephyrrider
Bit vague there - sorry about that. A bit Softer would be my goal.It seems the Weight rating cant be relied on upon for a standard rating from all different brands and have read Motul is a little on the light side ? Do you know what my 10 w is in comparison, Will check out Belray at my shop today, Thanks.

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

More
21 Sep 2014 15:39 - 21 Sep 2014 15:39 #648293 by Zephyrrider
Wiil measure springs again but try different oil at the moment, Thanks.

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 15:39 by Zephyrrider.

More
22 Sep 2014 22:27 - 22 Sep 2014 22:28 #648426 by Hoyt Clagwell
Replied by Hoyt Clagwell on topic Fork Springs.
If you're looking for a huge improvement in your fork performance, install a set of cartridge emulators from Race Tech. Changing oil viscosity or spring rates in old style damping rod forks will only get you marginal improvements. The trouble is, old style forks have fixed apperatures (holes in the damping rod) that by definition have to be a compromise. They let too much oil flow through at low impact bumps causing them to feel mushy on good roads and the don't allow enough oil through on hard impacts causing them to be harsh. They are too soft and too harsh at the same time. You can play around with springs and oil viscosities but you can only move the compromise point up or down. Cartridge emulators sit on top of your stock damping rod, which you drill out, so that the emulators take over the damping duties. They are spring loaded and adjustable. When you encounter low impact bumps, they allow only a small amount of oil to pass giving you a firm ride but when you hit a hard bump, the force causes the spring loaded valve to open more and allow the fork to ''give''. Now you have a firm ride but with no jarring jolts from the front end. I installed a set on my '84 ZN1100 and I will never go back to the old set-up again.

Here's a pic of the emulator I installed in my forks.

Here's your forks during compression.

Here's mine on low impact,

and here's mine on hard impacts.

Last edit: 22 Sep 2014 22:28 by Hoyt Clagwell. Reason: splelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zephyrrider

More
25 Sep 2014 14:10 #648809 by Zephyrrider
Thanks very much for Race Tech info. I would very much like to try those.

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.