replacement shocks

More
01 Aug 2014 15:39 #642364 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic replacement shocks
Hagon shocks are very high quality units, NOT low budget junk. Hagon offers numerous shock styles. The ones I bought look similar to stock (that's why I picked that style), but that where the similarity ends. They are built far better than the stock units which were just adequate when new. They are made of stainless steel, the rod is far thicker than stock, the internals are far better, and they work much better and will last very much longer than the stock units. This comparison is based on my first hand experience. I bought my KZ650 new in April 1977. Within 2 years (about 10,000 miles) the stock shocks were whipped. I replaced them with top of the line S&W shocks. The S&W's were the same shocks used by many top professional racers including folks like Kenny Roberts, etc. The S&W's were built great and worked really well. I replaced the S&W's with the Hagons 7 years (12,000 miles) ago even though the S&W's still worked great; I wanted shocks that looked more like stock units but worked as well as the S&W's. The Hagons were a great choice! They work every bit as well as the S&W's and to me they look great. I can assure anyone that after 12,000 miles they still work and look like they did when brand new. That certainly would not be the case with the stock units which didn't work particular well when brand new and quickly deteriorated from there. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2014 05:23 #642443 by runmikeyrun
Replied by runmikeyrun on topic replacement shocks
Thanks for all the help guys. Reason I asked about Progressives is because I can get them for a good price at work... but with the rave reviews here about the Hagons I am definitely going to look into them.

Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

More
02 Aug 2014 06:18 #642448 by 650ed
Progressive makes excellent shocks. In fact, they bought out S&W years ago. So if you can get them at a great price they might be a good choice for you. Ed

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
02 Aug 2014 17:00 - 02 Aug 2014 17:03 #642500 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic replacement shocks
No knock on Hagons. I did not even know they existed when I ordered my Works Performance Shocks. I was familiar with Works due to replacing my stock ZRX shocks with the Works Pro Piggy Back Racer units. The Works were worlds away better than the stock KYB units. AND, these KYB units are all the rave with KZ 1000 owners as being a great replacement for the stock units. So you see, my familiarity is with Works Performance. They are more money than the Hagon prices for a basic Steel Tracker unit. That is why I referenced being more than Hagon. If I had know of Hagon, I might have gone in that direction. Here is a pic of my non stock looking Works Steel Tracker dual rate spring shock. As you can see everything else about my bike, like Ed's blue beauty is stock.

Attachment ForrestspaintedpolishedKZ6508-2013.jpg not found

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 17:03 by Forrest.

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2014 18:38 #642515 by HBKwaka
Replied by HBKwaka on topic replacement shocks
Maybe a used adjustable pair off a KZP. That way they are cheap and you can set them for your needs.

More
02 Aug 2014 19:02 #642521 by 650ed

Forrest wrote: No knock on Hagons. I did not even know they existed when I ordered my Works Performance Shocks. I was familiar with Works due to replacing my stock ZRX shocks with the Works Pro Piggy Back Racer units. The Works were worlds away better than the stock KYB units. AND, these KYB units are all the rave with KZ 1000 owners as being a great replacement for the stock units. So you see, my familiarity is with Works Performance. They are more money than the Hagon prices for a basic Steel Tracker unit. That is why I referenced being more than Hagon. If I had know of Hagon, I might have gone in that direction. Here is a pic of my non stock looking Works Steel Tracker dual rate spring shock. As you can see everything else about my bike, like Ed's blue beauty is stock.

Attachment ForrestspaintedpolishedKZ6508-2013.jpg not found

Beautiful bike!!!!!!!!!! Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest