Fork bolts above triple tree

More
27 Jul 2014 17:22 #641663 by SimonGT550
Fork bolts above triple tree was created by SimonGT550
Hi all,
New to the forums and I've just begun doing up an 85 kz550gt
I was looking over builds on the internet and came across this fantasic build which is one of the images below, the other being my bike.
What I noticed though is that they don't appear to have the top bolt on the fork but have just screwed the inner part that runs on the thread all the way up.
The bolts on mine sit up very high and I would like to remove them as per the other image but I'm just checking if this is even a functional idea or if it was just for show.
I am sorry for my ignorance with the names of the parts and I hope people can understand what I'm asking here.
Any advice on this matter would be great.
Thanks!!

1985 KZ550GT
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2014 17:46 #641669 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Fork bolts above triple tree
I assume you're talking about the way the fork tubes stick up through the upper clamp on yours, and are flush on the other bike?

If you slide the forks back down till they are flush with the clamp, then get a set of the flush plugs off another KZ (or any other that fits) to replace the bolts in your's, then your's will look the same.

KD9JUR

More
27 Jul 2014 17:52 #641670 by SimonGT550
Replied by SimonGT550 on topic Fork bolts above triple tree
I am ok with the forks sitting that centimetre high than the triple tree, Its just those big ugly bolts that add an extra 2cm to the height that I want to dispose of.
When I unscrew them I see exactly what is in the picture of the other bike. Im just wondering if leaving it the way they have is safe?

1985 KZ550GT

More
28 Jul 2014 00:09 #641702 by SimonGT550
Replied by SimonGT550 on topic Fork bolts above triple tree
For clarification.
In the picture the left one is how they appear to have it and the right is with the bolt in. Is it okay to leave it that way?

1985 KZ550GT
Attachments: