A bit concerned about my rear wheel

More
27 Jul 2014 10:51 #641608 by KZJOE900
A bit concerned about my rear wheel was created by KZJOE900
O.K. so after getting a flat on the rear, I had already decided to buy a new tire, even though it only had a couple of thousand miles on the old one. I purchased a new tire and inner tube, I also decided to try to change it out myself and purchased some tire irons. Everything was going smooth until I saw the inside of my rim. I was able to take off chips of rust from where the rubber strip normally covers the spokes. Then I spent about 3 hours with my drill and wire wheel on it. Just wondering what people's opinion and experience has been with rims in this condition. Structurally it seems strong. So I just about to go ahead and slap everything back on. But before going through the trouble of mounting and balancing, I wanted to get a second opinion from others. I do have a trusted source that I can get a replacement wheel (but would need to replace bearings of course). But the goal is to eventually replace it with a brand new rim and stainless steel spokes. This more of a stop gap measure since its been a very expensive summer :( . Any thoughts?

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
27 Jul 2014 11:31 #641609 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic A bit concerned about my rear wheel
Joe
As a stop gap , If it were mine I would probably seal the rust with a light coat of rustoleum spray primer. Use new band to protect spokes and call it good to go.
Things to check first would be spoke tightness and rim alignment to make sure wheel performance is not compromised.
Then save up some coin and do it right with a new wider rim and spokes

Just My 2 cents
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
27 Jul 2014 12:49 #641623 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic A bit concerned about my rear wheel

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Joe
As a stop gap , If it were mine I would probably seal the rust with a light coat of rustoleum spray primer. Use new band to protect spokes and call it good to go.
Things to check first would be spoke tightness and rim alignment to make sure wheel performance is not compromised.
Then save up some coin and do it right with a new wider rim and spokes

Just My 2 cents
Dave

I agree with Dave. :)

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Jul 2014 12:58 #641626 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic A bit concerned about my rear wheel
Some of those Nipples are about rusted away. Don't think spokes and nipples are real expensive, maybe someone has some good used ones for you? A quick cut with a cut off wheel and a good spoke and nipple tightened in its place, one at a time will keep the wheel pretty true. ;)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
27 Jul 2014 13:33 #641632 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic A bit concerned about my rear wheel
Normal looking wheel to me after all these years. Water will always work it's way in and cause this. As long as you have the rubber rim strip, you'll be fine. I never really cared, because if one good thing came from it, was generally the spokes are rusted to the nipples and rarely need to be tightened.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
27 Jul 2014 13:54 - 27 Jul 2014 14:04 #641634 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic A bit concerned about my rear wheel
In stead of a primer, I would use a liquid product that you brush on to the rusted area and it stops the rust in its tracks. It chemically converts rust from iron oxide to magnetite, a black and inert substance.

Choose a water based rust converter like Eastwoods or Corroseal that contain two active ingredients; tannic acid and an organic polymer. The tannic acid reacts with iron oxide (rust) and chemically converts it to iron tannate, a dark-colored stable material. The organic polymer (2-Butoxyethanol) provides a protective primer layer. The overall chemical reaction converts rust into a stable, black protective polymeric coating.

Good Luck
Last edit: 27 Jul 2014 14:04 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
27 Jul 2014 14:00 #641635 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic A bit concerned about my rear wheel
Thanks guys! All good advice I think. I'm sure its O.K. to run as is but would be nice to replace the bad ones as Motorhead suggested. Just might not want to wait up since its been down a month already. And don't think I could source only 2 to 3 spokes. Great idea Dave about the Rustoleum. May even do that to the new one once I go that route. Anyhow, the front rim is good because I'm not about to check it, LOL. I think, I'll open a couple of beers paint the inside and put it out of my mind. Thanks all!

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD