kz1000 shaft drive speedometer

More
18 Jul 2014 06:57 #640482 by justinz830
kz1000 shaft drive speedometer was created by justinz830
Hello, it's been a while since I posted any questions. I've been riding/wrenching on my 1000 shaft drive quite a bit though. Since I got the bike running I've noticed that the speedometer is way off, which I accepted as pretty much all motorcycle speedos are off, but mine was also bouncing around a lot. The other day after about a 100 mile ride the cable came apart at the lower fitting. I finished the ride and made it home with no speedometer.
Last night I went to replace the cable and notice that the speedo gear output was in the wrong position. It was at about the 12 o'clock instead of 3. I loosened the front wheel and rotated it to the correct position when I realized that there was no locating tab on my fork leg. Someone has actually cut it off of the bike.
I just put everything back together, in the right location. I added a p-clamp to the left side of the fender, where I think there might have been one originally (already a weld-nut there).
Finally, my question is will the speedometer gear output try to spin? If it does my speedo cable will be riding on the underside of my brake caliper. I don't think there is any danger in riding like this, but I want to know some opinions of guys with more experience.

1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2014 21:51 #640666 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic kz1000 shaft drive speedometer
You can point the speedometer drive anywhere you want and once the axle tightened you'll be fine. Any nubs ect to originally line up the drive were just for simplicity of pointing it where intended without thought while assembling.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.