Need some input on building a seat.

More
13 Jul 2014 19:42 #639982 by kzz1king
Need some input on building a seat. was created by kzz1king
I need to find someone to build aseat for this pan I built. I would like to have the seat made i such a way that it could be velcroed unto the pan. I am thinking a 1/4 in plywood base. I am concerned about a material buildup between the bottom of the seat and the pan creating an unsightly gap. Looking for words of wisdom from those that have been there.
My pan.

Attachment DSCN3162.jpg not found

What I would like seat to look like, It could be a 2 piece with the butt pad being seperate.

Attachment motorcycle_monkee_36_1.jpg not found

THANKS
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2014 20:48 #639986 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Need some input on building a seat.
don't know if this helps but couple ways to eliminate the gap that could be created use a thin base (I/4' plywood)
procure a 1 " thick piece of closed cell foam ( easy to sand shape doesn't break apart or desintegrate) hollow it out the thickness of your board glue it to your board add another 1" piece of jhigh density foam to it mould surface as desired

have cover sewn to desired pleating leaving boxing long (side panels) stretch tight staple to board towards center
as far from edges a reasonable Having the boxing sewn at all 4 corners will eliminate the bunching on the corners that is present when stretching vinyl on corners

use T nuts in the plywood to fasten seat to pan 3or 4 per side would =be fine for bottom back may require 4
make sure the T nuts are close enough to edge that when the pan is tightened down it it pushes slightly against the closed cell foam as to not leave ant gaps

Attachment 1XGH6_AS01.jpg not found

T Nut
similar to the way we used to make padded panels in boats

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2014 07:49 #640017 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Need some input on building a seat.
That does help Ram.Is the reson for the closed cell foam to allow it to compress more tightly against the seat pan? By closed cell are you referring to the blue, yellow or pink board commonly used for building insulation?
Thanks.
Wayne

ramtough_63 wrote: don't know if this helps but couple ways to eliminate the gap that could be created use a thin base (I/4' plywood)
procure a 1 " thick piece of closed cell foam ( easy to sand shape doesn't break apart or desintegrate) hollow it out the thickness of your board glue it to your board add another 1" piece of jhigh density foam to it mould surface as desired

have cover sewn to desired pleating leaving boxing long (side panels) stretch tight staple to board towards center
as far from edges a reasonable Having the boxing sewn at all 4 corners will eliminate the bunching on the corners that is present when stretching vinyl on corners

use T nuts in the plywood to fasten seat to pan 3or 4 per side would =be fine for bottom back may require 4
make sure the T nuts are close enough to edge that when the pan is tightened down it it pushes slightly against the closed cell foam as to not leave ant gaps

Attachment 1XGH6_AS01.jpg not found

T Nut
similar to the way we used to make padded panels in boats

More
14 Jul 2014 07:52 #640018 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Need some input on building a seat.
For further clarification, Layers from top down would be:
High density foam
closed cell foam board
plywood.