Need some help finding a seat

More
13 Jul 2014 08:11 #639913 by cmsuter
Need some help finding a seat was created by cmsuter
I recently acquired my first motorcycle. a 1983 KZ550. It needed a wee bit of work but it is now running. Now my next obstacle is the seat. At the moment it does not have a seat and the back of the frame has been cut a little so I don't believe a factory seat will work. Since I am new to all this motorcycle stuff, I'm not sure where to start. Ideally I'd like a solo style seat but I'm not sure how to attach it. I'm already assuming I will have to take it to a machinist to get some kind of hinge or bracket welded on but I'm just not sure what exactly to get. Any help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2014 10:09 #639925 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Need some help finding a seat
As the rear is no longer stock, there's no way to help without seeing some good pictures. Are the original mounting points still on the frame etc etc :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
13 Jul 2014 10:42 #639929 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Need some help finding a seat
eebbaayy photos are helpful for stuff like this. Just look at the various seats & seat hinges listed there for your bike. or similar models if you think something else will work.

More
13 Jul 2014 16:37 #639959 by cmsuter
Replied by cmsuter on topic Need some help finding a seat
here is what I'm working with.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
13 Jul 2014 16:42 - 15 Jul 2014 06:38 #639960 by martin_csr
The seat hinge mounts & hinge pins are still there, as is the seat latch.
You'll need the hinges & etc when you get a seat. Some eebbaayy sellers remove the hardware & sell it separately.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 06:38 by martin_csr.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
14 Jul 2014 04:12 #639999 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Need some help finding a seat
Like Martin said all your mounting hardware is still there. Take a stock seat and cut it down BUT one thing I would do is to take that part you cut off shorten it and lug weld it back on. I made a nice CSR Bobber doing that and cutting down the stock seat. Looked good and was comfortable while still having a lockable seat.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
15 Jul 2014 06:27 #640131 by cmsuter
Replied by cmsuter on topic Need some help finding a seat
Ok I will take your advice and try to find a stock one and cut it down. Now what do you mean lug weld the part I cut off? are you talking about the frame? because I didn't cut that off, the owner before me did.

More
15 Jul 2014 06:37 #640132 by martin_csr
For strength & safety, you need to weld something in place of what was cut off.
Maybe ask the po if he still has the discarded section.

• Proxy
  • User
More
15 Jul 2014 11:35 #640148 by Proxy
I did the same thing to a CSR and the back piece of the frame that he cut off had a step down in diameter. I trimmed that and then reinserted it into the frame tube and re-welded it. It surely stiffened up the back end so I could use the stock seat but cut down to a comfortable solo seat. It also provided a nice place to mount a rear light. See, this is how I cut my frame. Then I took the rear piece and inserted it and re-welded it back in. All I had to do then was cut down my seat and I have a comfortable locking seat. Finished it looked like this . or you could do something different. Just an example.

More
17 Jul 2014 02:36 #640346 by J Burch
Replied by J Burch on topic Need some help finding a seat
Nice job, Proxy. Was thinking about modding various frames in that fashion. Looks good. You don't happen to have any other photos of your bike that would show the side profile a little better, do you?

Another option would be to insert a fender. Measure the width between your frame over the back tire. You could probably find a used boat trailer fender for not a lot of money. Check local salvage yard. Scrap prices rule. If you can find something that fits, have it welded in. It will give you the support you need, protect your bike, and make it look cool.
You could also take advantage of how it is chopped off at the rear by mounting your lights like "end caps" inside the frame where it was cut. With a little thought, you could have your tail light and signals together in the same housing. Could be a cool, clean way to go.
Looks like you need a rear gas tank mount. Just a flat bar that mounts to frame and then fasten the tank with a bolt. Use a rubber grommet.
I'd get the tank mount set, cut off the stock hinges, and clean up the battery box, so you have a nice smooth, clean frame. Get a fender welded in for support (function and style). Take the rear shocks off and throw on some struts, lowering the back of the bike a couple inches. then put on a solo seat. You can make one. There is lots of info online. Pretty much make a pattern for your seat out of cardboard, transfer the shape of your pattern to some good thick sheet metal. Bend it to the desired shape. Get some hi density foam, leather, whatever, to make your padding and cover it. Put a hinge on the front and two springs on the back and you have a bobber.
Good luck

1982 KZ750n1 Spectre

• Proxy
  • User
More
20 Jul 2014 05:19 - 20 Jul 2014 05:20 #640674 by Proxy

Before I added the MAC. She was comfortable and fun. Got a lot of attention too. Sold her a few weeks ago. Sold fast. Wish I had a dozen or so.

Last edit: 20 Jul 2014 05:20 by Proxy.