Front fork dissasembly

More
12 Jul 2014 13:49 #639845 by karoliens
Front fork dissasembly was created by karoliens
Hello,

I trying to change oil seal and oil for my front fork. The bike is KZ750E. How do I separate inner and outer tubes? Manual says I need special tool to hold cylinder from turning. Is there other way to hold cylinder?

83' Kawasaki KZ750E-L2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2014 14:46 #639855 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front fork dissasembly
You will need to determine what type fork cylinders you have. Some of them just have a round hole in the top and some have a hexagonal depression.

The type with the hex depression are easier to deal with. You need to find a bolt whose hex head is a proper fit for the depression then weld or attach it to a rod that is long enough to reach the fork cylinder while you hold the rod's other end.

The type with the round hole can be more difficult to hold. I made a homemade tool that worked ok (see www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/318027-bu...linder-holder#318027 ), but there are better tools available now. If I was going to do the job again I would probably buy a tool. Here's a link to a tool www.racetech.com/page/id/70 see center tool top row.

Some folks use a whittled down broom handle with success and some have luck with just the spring pressure with the fork top bolt in place. However, to reassemble things properly you really should tighten to the specified torque setting, and a tool to hold the fork cylinder from turning will make this easier.

No matter how you chose to hold the cylinder from turning the job will be easier if you use an impact wrench for loosening the bolt in the bottom of the fork cylinder. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Jul 2014 15:29 - 26 Feb 2015 05:56 #639863 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Front fork dissasembly
Try using an impact wrench & hardened 8mm allen socket to removed the bottom allen bolts.
(forks assembled & under spring pressure).

If you need the tool, the head of the inner cylinder probably looks just like a 19mm socket.
I used a left-hand threaded bolt & nuts and a couple of ratchet extensions.

Assuming yours are the same as the 650-CSR or 750H-Ltd.

A photo someone else posted on KZR a while back.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2015 05:56 by martin_csr.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
12 Jul 2014 20:53 - 12 Jul 2014 21:03 #639879 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Front fork dissasembly
Like Ed and Martin said ," try a 8 mm Allen with the impact tool",
I've done it twice and both times I left the cap on and spring in and compressed the tubes to add more pressure, it helps keep the inner cylinder from spinning.
Don't forget to drain the oil first ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2014 21:03 by bluej58.