Master Cylinder Primary Cup???

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
22 Jun 2014 19:02 #637586 by kzdcw
Master Cylinder Primary Cup??? was created by kzdcw
Pulled apart my Front master Cylinder off my 77' KZ1000A single brake disk. Cleaned everything. Installing everything in reverse order inside the cylinder bore. Check valve, return spring, then primary cup? Can't seen to push down the primary cup into master cylinder bore. I have the right side closed side facing outward which is the right direction for install. The rubber cup keeps turning over and no wanting to go in straight. Don't want to force it to tear rubber on cup. Is there a good way to installing these without so much struggle.

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2014 20:45 #637600 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Master Cylinder Primary Cup???
If you haven't already, try wetting it with brake fluid. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
23 Jun 2014 03:41 #637614 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Master Cylinder Primary Cup???
Did All That???

77' KZ1000A

More
23 Jun 2014 08:00 #637647 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Master Cylinder Primary Cup???

kzdcw wrote: Pulled apart my Front master Cylinder off my 77' KZ1000A single brake disk. Cleaned everything. Installing everything in reverse order inside the cylinder bore. Check valve, return spring, then primary cup? Can't seen to push down the primary cup into master cylinder bore. I have the right side closed side facing outward which is the right direction for install. The rubber cup keeps turning over and no wanting to go in straight. Don't want to force it to tear rubber on cup. Is there a good way to installing these without so much struggle.

Cleaned everything -- with what?
Perhaps the rubber parts softened and became swollen?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
23 Jun 2014 18:33 #637760 by kzdcw
I cleaned all the parts with Berryman's Chem-Dip carburetor and parts cleaner. I inspected all the rubber and it looked good, so was going to re-use it and test for leaks. Prior to disassembly and after getting plunger to free up and moving freely, I filled brake reservoir with fluid and didn't show any leaks anywhere. The only problem that I'm having now Patton is trying to re-install the primary cup rubber into the bore. Maybe it is swollen and once removed from the bore, impossible to re-install?

77' KZ1000A

More
23 Jun 2014 19:05 #637766 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Master Cylinder Primary Cup???
Using carb dip on brake parts probably was a mistake. Berryman's Chem-Dip is flammable, so there's a strong possibility that it contains petroleum distillates or other chemicals harmful to rubber brake components. Take a look at the can to see if it shows the ingredients. As is indicated in the Kawasaki Service Manual, brake components should never be exposed to petroleum distillates as it can ruin them. If you find the Chem-Dip has petroleum distillates in it you may want to find replacements for any rubber parts, and you need to make sure any non-rubber parts are thoroughly cleaned of the stuff. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
23 Jun 2014 19:47 #637771 by kzdcw
Doesn't anything about Petroleum Distallates and is for master cylinders and brake parts, as well as carburetors? So don't know?

77' KZ1000A

More
25 Jun 2014 21:24 #638027 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Master Cylinder Primary Cup???
I had a similar problem with my Z1-R rear master cylinder - the Bl@@dy cup kept wanting to flip over the wrong way! Did as someone previously suggested and applied a small amount of brake fluid to the cup and eased it in with a couple of wooden toothpicks (blunt) Also need to be careful to have the cup sitting squarely in the cylinder so that when you slide the piston ass'y in after the cup that the Bl@@dy thing doesn't flip over on you. (Gently and evenly does it.)

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III