Fork tear down

More
16 Jun 2014 07:01 #636819 by bvallerand
Fork tear down was created by bvallerand
Does anybody know the trick to getting these apart?

Attachment kz-fork.png not found

Ive got the top bolt off and the spring out. I cant get the bolt that holds the piston in to come loose.

I've done others where the broom at a 45* angle trick worked but this piston doesnt have the hollow tapered center that allows that to work.

If I can't figure it out I will probably just drill the bolt out. I just need the pistons from these because the ones from the 77 650 I have are all rusty.

1976 Kawasaki Kz750
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2014 14:15 #636875 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Fork tear down
see www.kz-1000.net/forkdamper .

I seem to remember using a 1/2 inch bolt, but it was a while ago.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
16 Jun 2014 14:38 #636876 by bvallerand
Replied by bvallerand on topic Fork tear down

jakedude wrote: see www.kz-1000.net/forkdamper .

I seem to remember using a 1/2 inch bolt, but it was a while ago.

Thats what I started with but I quickly found out that instead of having a socket of some kind in there is has a part that sticks out requiring some kind of special socket.

1976 Kawasaki Kz750

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Jun 2014 15:31 #636888 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Fork tear down
Put the springs back in and top caps back on loose,Use an air ratchet or impact to loosen up the bottem bolts. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
16 Jun 2014 16:28 #636899 by bvallerand

wireman wrote: Put the springs back in and top caps back on loose,Use an air ratchet or impact to loosen up the bottem bolts. :)

That's a great idea. i don't know why I didn't think of that my self. I will give that a try when I get home.

1976 Kawasaki Kz750

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
17 Jun 2014 10:17 - 17 Jun 2014 10:21 #636978 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Fork tear down
Using the springs/top caps/impact usually works great for tear-down but for re-assembly, I am pretty you will need the sharpened dowel jammed into the hole at the top of the cylinder....you will want a much shallower angle than 45 degrees on it though...a long, narrow taper will reach farther into the recess, and give you a better bite to resist the twist of the torque wrench. And ooooh! don't that old fork oil STINK?!!! Shoooooweeee!
edit: while you have them apart, look into polishing your fork lowers...kinda labor-intensive, but the bling is well worth the work!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jun 2014 10:21 by Grumpy Ole Artist. Reason: addtl info

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Jun 2014 14:48 #636997 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Fork tear down
They can go back together the same way with an impact.
Get the bolt handtight in the bottem of fork,then use the impact to finish them up. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
17 Jun 2014 20:16 #637026 by bvallerand
Tried an impact gun with the spring and the top on and got no where...just spun. Even if I compressed the spring. I just gave up. After looking at the parts diagrams the tubes have different part numbers so I'm not even sure I would have been able to use them.

As far as polishing forks goes...It doesnt really fit the theme of my bike. My spoked wheels and forks are gloss black and I have gators on the forks...I love it.

1976 Kawasaki Kz750

More
17 Jun 2014 20:33 #637027 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Fork tear down
Find somebody with a bigger compressor and impact, ive never seen one not come out that way.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Jun 2014 21:25 #637030 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fork tear down
Normally the air impact works, but if not, drilling the bolts is easy. I had one once that the allen bolt head just rounded off and was more or less just a round hole in the bolt. Surprising, drilling was easy as heck, just choose a big bit, bigger than the diameter of the bolt, which is probably 8mm, but not sure. Anyway, just drill in the nice round hole, then when the head is drilled off it will fall right off, the forks come apart, and the threaded portion of the bolt comes right out easily with your fingers, or course unless loctite is on the bolt. Don't use loctite on fork bolts, ever,

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, bluezbike

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Jun 2014 06:20 #637044 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Fork tear down
I'm not sure about those particular forks but on my 750 forks I was able to hold the damping rod using a spark plug socket, the type with the hex on the outside, inserted upside down into a long extension. The hex pattern matched that on the damping rod, so it was an easy matter to hold the rod stationary while removing the screw on the bottom. Worth a try anyway...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman