windshield recommondations? feedback?

More
15 Jun 2014 10:53 #636720 by mac0239
windshield recommondations? feedback? was created by mac0239
Anyone have any advice on which windshields to avoid or ones that mount perfect and did the job best?
I am waving the white flag on keeping my bike naked this summer and can't handle another road trip with surprise cold wet weather at me full force on highway. been looking on web at different styles (Slipstream etc) and want something bigger than a Spitfire size for little more protection. seems like anything bigger needs to mount on both bars and fork tubes and not sure if this is doable on my old KZ. Can you put clamps on those headlight bracket fork tube covers? curious if it would damage them? Anyone do this with no issues or is this asking for trouble? any recommondations from anyone is appreciated and I will order up what gets a good rating and fits bike best.
my bike is a 79' KZ1000st.
cheers and tks in advance.
steve

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2014 17:37 #636760 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic windshield recommondations? feedback?
I got a 3/4 fairing fro m JC Whitney a long time ago that mounts on the headlight mount and handle bars. Works very well but I customize it so it lays back at a flatter rake angle and also cut the top edge so I look over instead of through the windshield.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jun 2014 17:40 #636762 by bountyhunter
Mine is similar in size to this one, but this one has different mount design.

www.jcwhitney.com/national-cycle-plexifa...674.jcwx?filterid=j3

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jun 2014 17:43 #636763 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic windshield recommondations? feedback?
Hey thanks man, appreciate the tip.
question for ya. any issues or rattle or noise from clamping on headlight mount? and also did you find that the shield made bike handle worse on highway or no diff?
cheers man

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
15 Jun 2014 21:27 #636795 by bountyhunter
Mine didn't have rattle problems. Some of the cheap fairings have crappy mounts and don't stay put.

as for handling: the thing I noticed the most was the drag at freeway speeds. At first it feels like you are dragging an anchor.

1979 KZ-750 Twin