Rear Master Cylinder reservoir screws ???

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Jun 2014 21:58 #636108 by kzdcw
I'm trying to rebuild my rear master cylinder off my 77' KZ1000A. there's a plastic baffle inside the plastic reservoir at the bottom that covers 2 screws that hold the upper reservoir to the bottom master. Tried to remove the screws but can't even with an impact driver. In fact they started to strip out? Any suggestions?
The lower piston inside the master doesn't want to move freely, appears to be gunked up or rusted inside? Any suggestion on how to remove the piston?
If this master is beyond repair, what other rear master cylinders could you use other than an original one? Doesn't have to be stock for me as long as it works.

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
11 Jun 2014 03:48 #636112 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Rear Master Cylinder reservoir screws ???
I used a new good quality long nosed vise grip pliers to remove the stripped screws , and clamped it in a vise.

Was the reservoir wet before you started ? if not soak it in brake fluid for a day or two first.

A little heat may also help if you are still having trouble.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
19 Jun 2014 17:42 #637221 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Rear Master Cylinder reservoir screws ???
I sent you a PM but here's the message for all to share -
Mine were tight and I had to use an impact driver but they did come out ok.Sounds like someone may have used some form of threadlock at some stage...? Maybe use something to dissolve this - google "loctite dissolve" there's a few suggestions there. But there is a risk of damaging/dissolving the plastic reservoir! I have heard of another method - carefully apply heat to the heads of the screws with a soldering iron - this should soften the loctite or whatever locking agent and allow the screws to turn. Don't forget to replace the O-ring inside the ineer circumference of the m/cyl when you re-assemble it. Jim at Redline Cycles Skokie, Ill has 'em for $6-99, they're not the same profile as the original rectangular section seal but his replacement fits perfect and does the job!

(See my other post on the removal of your m/cyl piston)

Cheers,
Bill.

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III