KZ650D SR rear wheel coupler trouble

More
05 Jun 2014 17:47 #635506 by gcphoto
KZ650D SR rear wheel coupler trouble was created by gcphoto
Hey guys, I'm a new owner of a '78 KZ650D (SR). Love it so far, but I'm about to hyperventilate over this so I decided to come here to get educated. While possibly looking really stupid. :unsure:

The bike came with original tires (only 7,200 miles) so they were like wood and needed to be changed. I took off the wheels and brought them to a local shop to be mounted and balanced. When I got them back home I mounted up the front one no problem, but the rear one is not going in right. What the heck am I doing wrong?? Below is a photo of both sides of the wheel and then with the couplers installed the way I thought they went and then just for good measure a photo of the axle with the necessary bits slid on so you can tell me if I have it in the right order and facing the right direction. I have the parts diagram and the manual but it's not so clear about which way the brake side coupler/spacer goes... at least not to me. The right side coupler if installed the way depicted sticks out too far and I can't get the brake on. Yes.. should have taken pictures of everything. :angry:

I would be grateful of any help.

'78 KZ650 SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2014 18:20 #635511 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ650D SR rear wheel coupler trouble
Time to rearrange the spacers. ;) Take a look at the diagram below. It looks like you put the piece marked #12 on the outer part of the wheel rather than inside the coupling assembly where it belongs. What should go on the outer right hand side is part #14, but I don't see that part in your pictures. You didn't lose it did you? When you put #12 in the coupling assembly make sure it is turned the correct way. Same with part#14 on the outside. Ed

Attachment 00009_2014-06-05.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gcphoto

More
05 Jun 2014 18:53 #635514 by gcphoto
Replied by gcphoto on topic KZ650D SR rear wheel coupler trouble
Oh dear God.. :ohmy:
I was looking at this diagram and looking at my parts and wondering.. "did I drop a piece in the shed? No.. that couldn't be. I put everything right into the plastic bin like I was supposed to." I'll check it out in the morning. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

'78 KZ650 SR

More
12 Jun 2014 06:23 #636287 by gcphoto
Replied by gcphoto on topic KZ650D SR rear wheel coupler trouble
:) Hey 650ed, thanks you nailed it. I still do not know what happened to that part but I located another on ebay and installed it last night. Went on a ride and everything works great. What a relief!

'78 KZ650 SR

More
12 Jun 2014 07:02 #636291 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ650D SR rear wheel coupler trouble
Glad I could help. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)