spokes loose

More
01 Jun 2014 20:13 #634951 by happyhunter
spokes loose was created by happyhunter
I am in the middle of changing the rear tire on my 82 305 CSR. It has laced spoked wheels with tubes. I noticed some of the spokes were loose on the rear wheel tonight. What should I do about that?

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2014 21:01 #634959 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic spokes loose
Would tighten each loose spoke until tapping it with a wrench produces a metallic "ring" instead of a "thunk." No need to over-tighten.

Could also fashion a pointer positioned close to the rim in order to assess and hopefully rule out excessive run-out as the mounted wheel is slowly rotated by hand.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jun 2014 22:52 #634963 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic spokes loose
If you are confused about what Patton is saying YouTube how to true a rim, or take it to a professional to do so.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
02 Jun 2014 03:25 #634967 by happyhunter
Replied by happyhunter on topic spokes loose
Yeah I kinda understand what Patton is saying. I know a bicycle wheel is true up with the spokes. That is why I am kinda afraid to mess with these. I did not even think of taking it to the shop...... Maybe I will try tightening them myself. I am borrowing the tools to balance the wheel/tire. I can spin it on that and see how the rim looks, and take it to the shop if I end up making a mess.

What is a tool to tighten spikes with. Am I stuck buying a special tool or will something else work?

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.

More
02 Jun 2014 05:50 - 02 Jun 2014 05:54 #634980 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic spokes loose
If an inexpensive spoke wrench isn't available, a small crescent wrench should suffice.

Check the spoke tension often, and after every slight turn of the spoke nipple. When the spoke has tightened to where it's immoveable with your fingers, carefully monitor the subsequent tightening by tapping the spoke with a wrench after every partial turn of the nipple. Try not to exceed the tightness needed to go from thunk to ring. This would be expected to not worsen any pre-existing rim run-out.

If needed, it would be okay to soak the spoke nipples with Kroil or other penetrant a day or so before attempting to turn the nipples.

How horribly rusted and crusty are the spokes and nipples? :pinch:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 05:54 by Patton.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
02 Jun 2014 14:33 - 02 Jun 2014 14:35 #635039 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic spokes loose

Patton wrote:
If needed, it would be okay to soak the spoke nipples with Kroil or other penetrant a day or so before attempting to turn the nipples.

How horribly rusted and crusty are the spokes and nipples? :pinch:

Good Fortune! :)[/quote)

+ 1 on using a good penetrating oil in advance of trying to turn old nipples, and give them a good bunch of taps with the wrench to help crack the rust loose and let it sit for a day or two.
Waiting is better then breaking one and having to try and find single replacement although they are out there.

Good luck,

JD

The wrenches are available at any good metric bike shop pretty cheap

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 14:35 by bluej58.