Forks sticking, big problem

More
26 May 2014 08:13 #634027 by les holt
Forks sticking, big problem was created by les holt
Has anyone ever had front forks that would stick or lock up? Not a KZ but rather a 92 750 Zephyr. This has happened before on this bike, first was when we brought it home and went to unload it. I never gave it a thought then, just chalked it up to a long haul strapped down on a bike with low miles. This time it went down, washed the front end out in a slow speed corner with some bumps in it. Picked it up and rode it home, I could tell when the forks were sticking but kept thinking it would work loose or get better, now I have need of repair elsewhere. Any one have any in site as to why they would be sticking.

Forks are stuck at the bottom of stroke in this pic. You can pick the front end up pulling it over on the kickstand with the handle bars.

Attachment forksstuck.jpg not found

Now I need to fix this, an engine cover and replace the exhaust can on this side of what was an absolutely perfect example!

Les Holt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 08:57 #634030 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Forks sticking, big problem
Either the forks are bent or you have an alignment problem within the triple clamps and front wheel. Loosen all the bolts on the triple clamps, and see if that frees up hte forks.

More
26 May 2014 09:55 - 26 May 2014 09:56 #634034 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Forks sticking, big problem
I would start with the pinch bolts at the base of the forks for the axle if there are any. After tightening the axle nut, leave the pinch bolts lose. Then bounce the front end by pushing on the top triple a few times. Once that is done, lock the pinch bolts down. With RSU forks, you tend to find the lower fork tubes can move side to side significantly. If the tire was put on, the assembly could have had the bottom of the fork pushed in and locked down, causing the fork to be bowed and stick during travel.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
Last edit: 26 May 2014 09:56 by NakedFun.