Brakes

More
22 May 2014 03:23 #633400 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Brakes
Can you post a picture of which rear caliper that you have? :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2014 16:16 #633519 by eric77kz
Replied by eric77kz on topic Brakes
The third pic is a problem I hope you guys can help me address. Dont know what or why. Is it broken? BTW ckeck my other post . I got er running today!

77 KZ650 C
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
22 May 2014 18:16 #633552 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Brakes
I believe that is a manual brake line. I have one that is attached to my rear drum brake

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
22 May 2014 19:08 #633560 by PLUMMEN
That style of rear caliper can be removed without pulling the wheel off,Its the same as your front caliper. B)

More
22 May 2014 19:16 - 22 May 2014 19:18 #633565 by eric77kz
The third pic I posted is bothering me. I am going back to work on it again tomorrow and would LOVE to ride it! Is this something fixable? Or do I need to order something? I got a bleeding kit and realized that had happened and I couldnt do anything else.

77 KZ650 C
Last edit: 22 May 2014 19:18 by eric77kz.

More
22 May 2014 19:44 #633572 by PLUMMEN
That's your rear brake light switch,Theres one on the front brake also.
You can get by with the front one until you get another for the rear,just remember your front brake is bringing on the brake light .
Id pull the caliper off and pull it apart and clean it really good,Be carefull when you pop the piston out of it.
Id wrap it in a towel and just pump the brake pedal to push it out after removing it from bracket and taking the pads out,Keep your fingers clear of the area where the pads go while pumping brake pedal. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: eric77kz

More
22 May 2014 19:54 #633573 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Brakes

PLUMMEN wrote: That style of rear caliper can be removed without pulling the wheel off,Its the same as your front caliper. B)

I believe the difference between the rear and front brakes has more to do with the bracket than the caliper itself. On the front when I pull the calipers I just unbolt the bracket from the forks and the caliper and bracket lifts off the rotor very easily. On the rear brakes the axle runs through the bracket making it impossible to remove the bracket without pulling the axle. If you try to remove the caliper from the bracket by simply removing the 2 caliper holder shaft bolts I believe one of the brake pads will prevent you from being able to pull the caliper off the bracket because the pad is trapped in the bracket by the rotor. By pulling the axle you can pull the bracket and caliper off the rotor which then gives enough room to remove the pads. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 May 2014 19:57 #633574 by 650ed

eric77kz wrote: The third pic I posted is bothering me. I am going back to work on it again tomorrow and would LOVE to ride it! Is this something fixable? Or do I need to order something? I got a bleeding kit and realized that had happened and I couldnt do anything else.

Here's a brake switch. Ed

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?item=27010-1481

More
23 May 2014 16:03 #633687 by eric77kz
Gonna have to rebuild the rear master cylinder and caliper. I flushed and bled and still no brake action. after Riding for just about a half mile, the edge of the rotor was blazing hot. It was clear it is rubbing against something. What will I run into when I start rebuilding? Keep in mind I have NEVER done this before. I have replaced pads on multiple cars but nothing this extensive.

77 KZ650 C

More
23 May 2014 17:05 #633692 by PLUMMEN

650ed wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote: That style of rear caliper can be removed without pulling the wheel off,Its the same as your front caliper. B)

I believe the difference between the rear and front brakes has more to do with the bracket than the caliper itself. On the front when I pull the calipers I just unbolt the bracket from the forks and the caliper and bracket lifts off the rotor very easily. On the rear brakes the axle runs through the bracket making it impossible to remove the bracket without pulling the axle. If you try to remove the caliper from the bracket by simply removing the 2 caliper holder shaft bolts I believe one of the brake pads will prevent you from being able to pull the caliper off the bracket because the pad is trapped in the bracket by the rotor. By pulling the axle you can pull the bracket and caliper off the rotor which then gives enough room to remove the pads. Ed

If you remove the Phillips screw holding inside pad the caliper should come off,im pretty sure anyway. :)

More
23 May 2014 17:23 #633695 by 650ed
I have never tried it, but is looks pretty tight in there to me. It might be possible. Maybe if the pads are worn down pretty thin. I have removed the rear wheel/axle dozens of times so to me that isn't a difficult task. I guess if one is reluctant to pull the axle pulling the caliper from the bracket is worth a try. That's probably the only way to know for sure if it can be done. Ed

Attachment IMG_0717.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0718.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
23 May 2014 17:46 #633697 by eric77kz
Thanks to all. I think I might be cool to pull the wheel(no promises). It's when I tear apart the Master Cylinder and Caliper that I will run into utter confusion. I am just going to start unscrewing things, look for defects, clean and hope I can get it back together. :silly: :unsure:

77 KZ650 C