Thanks for cartridge mulator advice

• Hoyt Clagwell
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2014 10:16 #630921 by Hoyt Clagwell
Thanks for cartridge mulator advice was created by Hoyt Clagwell
'just wanted to say thanks for the feedback that I got from the forum on whether to install cartridge emulators from Race Tech. Partly because of the positive reviews I got here, I went ahead and purchased and installed emulators in the forks of my '84 ZN1100. I couldn't be happier! I've got them set up to be firm and secure feeling in normal conditions yet I get no jarring jolts when I encounter large pot holes. The only downside is that they now point out to me how lousy the rear shocks function. Does anyone have suggestions on a rear shock that uses ''variable damping'' rates like the cartridge emulators. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2014 20:43 #630984 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
Ask Race Tech, or go to Works Performance and buy that $600 pair of shocks I've been dreaming of.

KD9JUR

• Hoyt Clagwell
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2014 21:58 #631097 by Hoyt Clagwell
Replied by Hoyt Clagwell on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
Yes I lust over those shocks too. :laugh: I was wondering if there is anything available in say the $300 range.

More
02 May 2014 20:54 #631169 by steell
At $300 you're talking Progressive shocks, or you could get lucky on eBay.

I did read somewhere about using the Ohlins front shocks off some snowmobile, but that's all I remember about it.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hoyt Clagwell

More
02 May 2014 21:42 #631174 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
eBay, as always, is a crap shoot. Progressive shocks are quality items, but not rebuildable. Be sure and get the proper spring rate for your weight and riding style. Anything cheaper is just that, cheap.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 May 2014 04:01 - 03 May 2014 04:03 #631177 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
Been shopping for shocks myself lately and can offer the following...

Amazon has the best price on Progressives I've found. Tried and true performance, but not as sophisticated as some higher tech designs. From what I've read Hagon's are similar, but I've read more negative reviews on them than the Progressives, mostly because the damping and spring rates lean toward the stiff side of conventional. The YSS Eco line shocks are about $300 a set and strike me as an incremental step up above these others, but I don't have any personal experience to back that up, and review are hard to come by. www.yssusa.com/series-eco.html
Last edit: 03 May 2014 04:03 by Nessism.

• Hoyt Clagwell
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2014 08:55 #631286 by Hoyt Clagwell
Thanks for all the info guys. I was looking at the progressives and they look like they may be a good economical choice to upgrade the OEM shocks. Despite thier name, in the photos I saw, the Progressive shocks did not seem to have ''progressive springs' which is good, to me anyway. I like a firm ride but one that will ''give'' when hitting large bumps/potholes. When the time comes I'll contact Progressive and ask some questions.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
08 May 2014 08:44 - 19 May 2014 11:54 #631808 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
Just a bit more info: I have Works Performance Shocks on my KZ 650. They are the Steel Trackers with dual rate springs. I added these after like you I upgraded the fok springs and emulators from Race Tech. The tail used to wag the dog if you know what I mean. However, after adding the Works Performance shocks I am rock solid in fast sweepers and have a plush ride overall. The dual rate springs contrary to what you may think are quite forgiving. This is the true nature of dual rates. Works Performance will construct the shocks to your bike's specific specs and your riding weight plus riding style. I paid in the $400 range and they are worth every penny. Small price to pay for custom made shocks and access to knowledgable sales staff and direct contact with the engineers themselves. Here is a link. >>> www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

One other option may be to look at twin shocks from more recent Kawasakis such as the ZRX 1100/1200 models offered in this country between 1999-2005. They are KYB units with piggy back reservoirs. They have both compression & rebound damping along with spring preload adjustment.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 19 May 2014 11:54 by Forrest. Reason: originally omitted a "1" from ZRX1100 designation.

• Hoyt Clagwell
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 May 2014 15:06 #632202 by Hoyt Clagwell
Thanks for the info. I'll check out works performance and the 1999 - 2005 sport bike option.

More
19 Sep 2014 07:17 #648052 by zakkant
Replied by zakkant on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
Hi Hoyt. I have the same bike as yours zn1100ltd. I would like a similar upgrade with the suspensions than you. Can you help me in this case. How it is working for you? :) and what should I look after carefully? Thanks if you have time for me.

More
19 Sep 2014 16:14 #648099 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Thanks for cartridge mulator advice
I just picked up a pair of Ikon ( Koni ) shocks for my kz750b. The importer Dave Gardner is in San Francisco and is a very helpful guy. New Ikons are in the $400 range and Dave will make sure they are properly setup for your bike. One of the important features is you can rebuild them yourself.
www.IkonSuspensionUSA.com .

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: zakkant

More
20 Sep 2014 18:26 #648219 by steell

80B4 wrote: I just picked up a pair of Ikon ( Koni ) shocks for my kz750b. The importer Dave Gardner is in San Francisco and is a very helpful guy. New Ikons are in the $400 range and Dave will make sure they are properly setup for your bike. One of the important features is you can rebuild them yourself.
www.IkonSuspensionUSA.com .

I have Koni shocks on my 750B, and Progressive springs up front. Rides real well :P

KD9JUR